Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

crate training help please

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM
  • 118 Replies
ok so i just got a beautiful lab/pit mix yesterday(hubby want to train him to be a guard dog as we live out in the boonies)and i went and bought him a crate,pillows,toys,shots,wormer ect and he loves his crate but i put him in there last night,he slept all night let him outside as soon as i got up(6am) and let him out. He stands at the door whining and dident do anything so i let him back in,as soon as he walked in the door he peed a massive puddle then walks over to his crate and deuches his pillow then he pooped on his pillow!!!! So what the heck am i doing wrong cuz i love this dog and want to keep him long term so something has to give
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM
How old? For the first few weeks of having our pup i got up with him at night and took him to the potty and in the morning we do a walk and we don't come in till he goes potty (both)
We still do the same routine and he is four years old and it took about a month or so to fully house and crate train him fully. He loves his crate now he hides in it sometimes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_since06
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM
bump someone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandiaubrey
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
If he was in the kennel all night then he definitely had to go potty, I wouldn't let him back inside until he went. Encourage him to go outside and give praise when he does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanielleBishop
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM
You should get puppy pee pee pads and put them near the door. They have a scent that attracts them. You might have too much stuff in his crate as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_since06
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM
he is 8wks old i believe.i figured maybe he was scared to go out alone or something and he will investigate the yard if im standing with him but doesent pee.i dident put him in his crate till 11 and got him up at 6am

Quoting KelliansMom:

How old? For the first few weeks of having our pup i got up with him at night and took him to the potty and in the morning we do a walk and we don't come in till he goes potty (both)

We still do the same routine and he is four years old and it took about a month or so to fully house and crate train him fully. He loves his crate now he hides in it sometimes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM
4 moms liked this

You should put the dog on a leash and take the dog outside with you . you should walk him around and encourage him to pee and poop verbally

and then praise him verbally for a good pee or a good poop

treats helps too

Then and only then - after business has been handles do you bring him back in.

just sticking a brand new pup out in the yard and hoping he figures it out isn't really training.

it happens but - well as you can tell from yoru experience not very quickly.

I am more concerned with your wanting to train your dog for personal protection.

Have you contacted and lined up a professional trainer to go and train with him in schutzhund?

If not what are your intentions on planning to make him a guard dog.

I ask because I have seen countless beautiful dogs put down because their owners tried to make the guard dogs and ended up just making frightened ill tempered jumpy vicious dogs.

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM

also he's a dog he doesn't need a pillow in his crate - perhaps a chew toy that is non edible but thats it.

pillows and crap come later - when your dog knows not to eat them or shit on them.

Mom_since06
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM
i dident mean he is only going to be a guard dog he is a family pet but if an occasion should arise i would hop he would step up and protect us if need be.i dont plan on formerly training him to be a guard dog thats not what i meant.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

You should put the dog on a leash and take the dog outside with you . you should walk him around and encourage him to pee and poop verbally

treats helps too

just sticking a brand new pup out in the yard and hoping he figures it out isn't really training.

I am more concerned with your wanting to train your dog for personal protection.

Have you contacted and lined up a professional trainer to go and train with him in schutzhund?

I ask because I have seen countless beautiful dogs put down because their owners tried to make the guard dogs and ended up just making frightened ill tempered jumpy vicious dogs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom_since06
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Well guard dogs are family pets too.

As long as you or your DH have no notions of "toughening" him up and just relying on his BASIC instinct to kick in. then fine.

Quoting Mom_since06:

i dident mean he is only going to be a guard dog he is a family pet but if an occasion should arise i would hop he would step up and protect us if need be.i dont plan on formerly training him to be a guard dog thats not what i meant.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

treats helps too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)