Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nurse Mommas

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM
  • 1 Replies
Do u like being a nurse? Sometimes I do but sometimes I just f*ckin hate it and wonder why I ever chose this profession. I hate that people can talk to us however they please and we just have to suck it up. I hate that 90% of the time we know what's best for a pt but the doctors act like our opinions and input is worthless. But, I do like helping people, talking to them about life and their diseases, the excitement of saving someone's life, the satisfaction of truly educating people about their condition and what all is involved. Ugh, it is such a Love/Hate job, isn't it?!

Also, how long have u been a nurse? And when u first started, how were u treated? Did other nurses accept u or were the mean, try to "throw u under a bus"? A fellow nurse tonite admitted she is hard on new grads because she wants to weed out the ones who can't hack it. We are in ICU so in a way I kind of understand, but really I wanted to say "That doesn't make any f*ckin sense! U are hard on new nurses instead of being supportive?! What a bitch move!" But of course, I just half smiled and said something about an IV pump and walked away. Are u helpful to new nurses or do u also feel that a tough love approach is best?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
unspecified42
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I do. When I worked on Med/Surg I hated it after a while. Absolutely hated it, for all of the reasons that you described. Then I moved to the ER and I went home after the first day and went, "wow. I actually love being a nurse again!" And I still do. The patients are in and out. We have a lot more autonomy and the doctors respect on our opinion more. It's a completely different nurse/doctor dynamic in the ER (at least in my experience, though I felt that way at my old hospital, too). Maybe it's time for a switch? It was an awesome positive changed.

I was treated fairly well when I first started, but I had been working there as a CNA so I already knew the staff. I think there does need to be a certain amount of 'sink or swim.' On my old Med/Surg floor (I still work there sometimes) there are a handful of new nurses that the staff coddled through, and now they are regretting it. Those nurses can't handle their patients efficiently and everyone else is constantly answering stupid questions, picking up slack, and listening to the others complain.

The ER is a lot more demanding, so it's more important that we only end up with competent nurses. We have a lot of shared governance at my hospital as nurses, so we do peer interviews before hiring and our opinions of the new hires are actually listened to, which is nice. Not everyone who is hired makes it, and we don't try to carry them through because when push comes to shove, you want a competent coworker to work a code with or who can help you when you get in a pinch instead of just barely keeping their head above water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)