Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 month old is constipated. Won't eat or drink anything.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM
  • 16 Replies
I have a call out to his pediatricians off and they haven't called back yet... Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried rubbing his belly and pushing his knees up. I'm just at a loss and he's in so much pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stefvan
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM

My ds had awful times with constipation.  He would go for several days without going and then it was explosive.

We tried extra juice (no water), glycerin suppositories, less milk (son was over 1), and Vaseline on the tip on a rectal thermometer.  That last one worked pretty well, just insert the thermometer as if you were taking his temp and turn it gently.  That stimulates the rectum to do it's job. 

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Quoting stefvan:

My ds had awful times with constipation.  He would go for several days without going and then it was explosive.

We tried extra juice (no water), glycerin suppositories, less milk (son was over 1), and Vaseline on the tip on a rectal thermometer.  That last one worked pretty well, just insert the thermometer as if you were taking his temp and turn it gently.  That stimulates the rectum to do it's job. 

Yep and lubricates things in there to help them come out more easily.  Good luck!  Poor baby. :(

jb0520
Suppository? I would only recommend that since he won't drink! Their us a little tummies gentle laxative too, walgreens sells it, that works goods too you just squirt.it in the mouth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katherine696997
Quoting stefvan:

AidensMommy422
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Thank you ladies :) its been an hour and they haven't returned my call yet =\
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2KoolMama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM

My grandmother told me to give them Karo Syrup.  Just a little bit in a bottle should do it.  It always worked like a charm for my kids.

nicsmama09
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Suppository
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crysjuls
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Please don't use a suppository on baby. He's too young for that. Give him warm apple juice. That usually works instantly. Or prune juice. I use the baby kind (gerber) on my 10month old nephew.

Quoting AidensMommy422:

Thank you ladies :) its been an hour and they haven't returned my call yet =\

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Apple juice, prune juice or baby food, karo syrup (just like a teaspoon in the bottle), and I dunno if he's too young but like pear nectar agave I heard is supposed to be really helpful. Also lots of fluids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jaxmomof2600
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I used to do the therometer and vaseline treat.  Then put him in the bath with nice warm water and just let him play.  It usually makes them poop in the tub but it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)