• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Legit or Scam??

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 13 Replies

So I'm never 100% comfortable sending stuff through craigslist unless I can personally meet up with the person. So instead of using Paypal Ive suggested that they send me cash in the mail. Well 2 different times with 2 different people they've both said the same thing..

Send my full name and address so that they could send me cash using Western Union with their credit card to pay online..

The first person I asked to explain more and they never responded..

I really dont know what to do, I just think everything is a fraud/scam these days, didnt think I could go wrong with asking them to send cash but it just seems wrong..

Anyone go through this?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
river.red
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
That is a scam. As soon as they mention western union I run. If you tell me we can't meet in person and exchange cash I don't even message back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GinasMommy412
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
No, but it sounds like a scam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MawMawKelton
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

SCAM

cLanief
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM
if western union is mentioned its a scam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Send cash for what?

Why don't you just meet and do the transaction in person?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fwkitten1981
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM

NEVER EVER accept cash in the mail or send it in the mail. There is no way to prove it was paid or received. I deal with Craigslist quite a bit and if they can't meet in person then I don't deal with them. Always cash and always in person. I don't even accept money orders b/c they are easy to fake and by the time you find out its fake, they are long gone.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM

My Craigslist has a HUGE warning (many times on the mainscreen and always in the confirmation emails when posting)about anyone offering to send Western Union. Its a scam...

WARNING!! *** WARNING!! *** WARNING!! *** WARNING!!

Please be wary of distant 'buyers' responding to your ad! Many sellers receive replies from scammers hoping to defraud them through schemes involving counterfeit cashier's checks and/or wire transfers. These checks will clear the bank, but the person cashing the check will be held responsible when the fraud is discovered. More info on scams can be found at this web address:  http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

UxorQuodMatris.
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Yep.
Always meet in person (safely).

Quoting river.red:

That is a scam. As soon as they mention western union I run. If you tell me we can't meet in person and exchange cash I don't even message back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikolitak
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM

If you asked me to pay cash through Western Union I would think you were trying to scam me! Always in person, always in cash!

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

How do you know THEY aren't thinking that YOU'RE the one trying to scam them? Send cash in the mail? I sure as heck wouldn't do it. IF LEGIT, they probably figure with WU and CC that THEIR money is safe (i.e. they can talk to the CC company about not getting the item if that's what happens.)

Figure out something else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)