Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stopping payments on checks.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

I had made a online bill pay on the 31st to pay off our home equity loan with citibank.. my bank had to send a paper check and it was suppose to be received on the 3rd. Well on the 6th i found out that i had in fact put the wrong address in when i put in a new payee and citibank said they had not received it nor was there any guarantee that they would reroute it. (apparently to pay off a loan it has to go to a entirely differnt place in a different state)

So i called my personal bank.(USAA)  I explained what happened. they put a stop payment on that check. I went ahead and did another web bill pay with the correct address and started another payment that is to arrive tomorrow. I did this with the knoweledge the first check was stopped. No one told me it wouldn't be effective that date.

Well on the 6th citibank cashed the stop payment check. Apparently it takes 24 hours for a stop payment to go through and they cashed it prior to the 24 hour window.

Anyway my home equity loan is now paid in full and closed. My personal bank (USAA) went ahead and put a stop payment on the other payement that is to arrive tomorrow. Citibank told me they shoudln't cash it because the account is closed but she noted the account anyway to not cash the duplicate payment check.

As long as that thing does not cash today (which it shouldn't because it is still pending at my personal bank with a arrival date of tomorrow) i should be golden.

HOWEVER

should it clear and citibank has a moron cash a check for a closed paid in full account i am so screwed.

FUCK!

edited:

USAA (my personal bank) is claiming they cannot revoke the first stop payment fee i made, even though the check cleared. I have never done this before and was not made aware of the fact that it would take 24 hours..they say they will however waive the nsf fee should the check try to clear tomorrow. I had to turn around and pay another stop payment fee on the second check today as well..i just want the fee refunded and will want the other one refunded should that check be cashed. I don't understand why they won't refund the fees.

I am so upset about this.. :(

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kris_81
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Ugh that stinks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackQuin
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM

the only plus for me is should they decide to cash it they will just charge me a 29.00 overdraft fee that usaa says they will waive. thank god.

but still

fuck!

mamaof2angles
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Hugs sorry mama I know how you feel citibank and chase are stupid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackQuin
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Quoting kris_81:

Ugh that stinks!

it does stink.

what is the point in a stop payment if it takes 24 hours to process?

citbank shouldn't cash it.

but still. i am so mad at myself, the bank and citibank.

mackQuin
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quoting mamaof2angles:

Hugs sorry mama I know how you feel citibank and chase are stupid

them cashing the first check wasn't really their fault. The stop payment my bank made hadn't made it to the check yet.

HOWEVER

they told me on the 6th they hadn't received it yet..when they did.

Now if they cash a check for a paid in full closed account then they will be morons and stupid fucks.

mackQuin
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM

..and i paid 29.00 TWICE for a stop payment. I am arguing with USAA about refunding me the original 29.00 stop payment fee since the damn thing cashed! They are trying to tell me that they will just waive the overdraft fee shoudl the second check be attempted to be cashed tomorrow.

mackQuin
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

bump. :cries:

anotherhalf
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM
You'll be fine. Congatulations on paying off the loan. You should be celebrating!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackQuin
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Quoting anotherhalf:

You'll be fine. Congatulations on paying off the loan. You should be celebrating!

i should be. until i know for a fact that second check won't be cashed though i'm going to be worried about it.

I have never overdrafted or had non sufficent funds before. I don't want to have this happen.

and i want my money back for the 1st stop payment fee. :(

mackQuin
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

am i the only idiot who has done this before? :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)