Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you one of those moms that's super strict about sugar?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM
  • 87 Replies

I try not to be, but I am always worrying that my son has too much sugar. He's two and a half, and while he loves all fruits and vegetables (even brussel sprouts and turnips, lol) and has a healthy diet, he also freakin' LOVES cookies, candy, and anything sweet. I bought some of those WhoNu cookies, so that at least he's getting some benefit if he's eating the sugar. Still, sometimes I have to tell myself to just freakin' relax. I swear, Cafemom did this to me, lol! Oh, the guilt over the smallest things.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TraceyMR
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM

DD eats a variety of foods, but I do not allow concentrated sugars like syrups, icings, or candy. She has tasted chocolate and ice cream but only twice.
She is only 15 months and does not need that stuff in her diet.

SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My son has a treat, like a piece of candy or cookie, everyday and I have no guilt. I'm a fan of everything in moderation.

LovingSAHMommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Same here...moderation.

Quoting SarahLizyB:

My son has a treat, like a piece of candy or cookie, everyday and I have no guilt. I'm a fan of everything in moderation.

RissyLee
I'm not super strict, but I'm strict with my ds having a healthy diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
culinaryqueen
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I am at home but he has a valentines party in his class next tuesday so I will let him enjoy all of the sugary sweets with his classmates.

Mrs.Miller11

I am...but diabetes runs in my family and my dd's pedi said to limit her sugar intake

starmoonmom

Its possible that I am strict and do not recognize it as such,lol. Its just how we have always been. Thankfully, its easy to be this way because of our family, friends and my kids school community. We use agave nectar, honey as sweeteners. 

LectioDivina
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I will only feed them sugar - no substitutes.

(edit - substitutes made in a lab anyways )

I think if it's in moderation and treated like a "treat" it won't make a difference and will add joy to their lives.

lili_monkey
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not super strict but, I am not shoving it down my daughters throat either, lol. We have sweets in the house, a good 90% is baked by myself.  I try not to make a big deal about sweets, and junk food. I know I feed and giver her healthy options and just like most kids she has sweet tooth :)

What are WhoNu cookies?

tlc576
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I am only because my kids have been 50 million times healthier since cutting it. They dont like it as much anymore either, if they have too much now (more than a small piece of candy or a couple cookies) then they get sick, so they just dont do it. They kept 20 pieces of halloween candy each, they each still have over half!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)