• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

start disciplining a 15 month old

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hi All,

I am a 1st time mom to a 15 month old. I work full time. she goes to a home day care. She is a sweet little baby but there are some times that she can through a fit.

Yesterday we were in a play area and I wanted her to take home and there she is yelling and trying to get down and doing all sorts of stuff.

Does any one know how can I start discipling her? (I didn't discipline her because it is a public place) All I do is hold her hands together and say No or putting her in her crib for a minute or 2.

She acts ok with me but she hits her dad and pinches him and shouts at him. (He doesn''t mind all these) and he laughs at her when she does all this stuff. (I am telling him not to do that) but I have to be more strong on that part I guess.

How do you discipline your kids  if they are < 2 yrs old?  

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tddncw2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Bump. I'm in the same position with my 16 month old son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom.sv
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thank you for the bump. Lets see what experience cafe moms will advice us lol :)

Quoting tddncw2010:

Bump. I'm in the same position with my 16 month old son.

luvmymonkeys27
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter (19 months) has been having time-outs in the corner since she was about 14 months... but it was relatively easy for me, as she had seen her older brother have time outs in the past and understood the process. I would really get on your husband for laughing at misbehavior-- my DH does that too and it drives me nuts... I keep telling him that a small child wont be able to understand why it's funny to hit him but not okay to do it to someone else. I think holding her hands and telling her "no" in a firm voice is a good start, as well as reminding her to be gentle and demonstrating that to her-- have her stroke your cheek or something, so she learns about nice touching vs. hitting. 

littlemonaghan
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM
3 moms liked this
Just my opinion acs I know every kid is different and respond differently but this is what we do

I start "redirecting" as soon as 6 months. She knows the looks in my faces and she can tell my emotional response. If shes doing something she shouldn't, she gets a firm NO and shes moved away from it. Shell crawl back and the same thing will happen after a few times she learns trying to go in the fire place is going to get a mean reaction from mama, not a happy one and guess what, she doesn't try to explore the fire place any more.

I just have to be firm and consistent. I don't and probably won't punish our kids unless its something really bad. I teach preschool and I've never had to put a student in time out. They're redirected and after a few times the behavior stops because they know the consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
7 moms liked this

StevensCare4u
1 mom liked this

I religiously do time out with my LO he will be 2 in April. He knows where time out is & he knows to sit there. He has tried the throwing himself on the floor & pitching a fit. I give him a tap on the bottom to get his attention, & address him is a very serious manner, explaining that if he doesnt stop that he will go to time out. 99% of the time he dries up his face & gets up. He knows when I mean buisness. If he chooses not to straighten up & I have tried everything, he goes to his room. Ususally he'll fall asleep (hinting why he was being a butt).

KitschyGirl
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We started time outs at one year of age with both kids. Public place or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celeciag
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM
This. Redirection and consistentcy is key. I started time outs at 13 mo and still going strong. You just have to be sure you are firm with the time outs. Don't let her leave the corner until a minute or two after she is completely calm

Quoting littlemonaghan:

Just my opinion acs I know every kid is different and respond differently but this is what we do

I start "redirecting" as soon as 6 months. She knows the looks in my faces and she can tell my emotional response. If shes doing something she shouldn't, she gets a firm NO and shes moved away from it. Shell crawl back and the same thing will happen after a few times she learns trying to go in the fire place is going to get a mean reaction from mama, not a happy one and guess what, she doesn't try to explore the fire place any more.

I just have to be firm and consistent. I don't and probably won't punish our kids unless its something really bad. I teach preschool and I've never had to put a student in time out. They're redirected and after a few times the behavior stops because they know the consequences.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stefvan
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I took some great advice when my kids were younger from some more experienced moms.  Start disciplining early or you will have big problems later.  They need to know early on that they are not the boss.  With mine, I mostly would put them in a play pen for a couple of minutes if they got into things or got an attitude.  I did redirection once or twice, but if they went right back over to something I moved them from after that I put them in the playpen.  When they got a little older, I popped their hands - like when my dd tried to put keys in a outlet (she could take the stupid protector thing off).  Whatever you do, be consistent.

mommysince2010
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My 15 month old throws fits a lot too.. If he does I just walk away and ignore him and he usually stops and follows me. If he touches something he knows he isn't supposed (ie oven/broiler, window blinds)  I give him flicks on his hand and say No. This would also go with hitting or biting (but he hasn't done any of this really) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)