Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Department of Education Debate:

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM
  • 46 Replies

This is interesting. 

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/132571/department_of_education_gives_a

Quote:

The proponents of shutting down the Department of Education want to turn back time, and in my case, that meant bringing back the days segregation. Education opportunities would, in effect, be available only to the privileged (which is veiled as only available to white kids with righteous double talk).
http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/132573/abolishing_the_department_of_education?next=11

Quote:

Let’s save the money from the Department of Education, and let communities keep that to spend how they see fit to educate their kids. There’s absolutely no need for federal control over our children’s education. Let’s give the power (and the funds) back where it belongs -- communities that know a heck of a lot more about how to raise and educate their children than some bureaucrat in Washington.

I don't know if the topic has been discussed in here, but I just read both the articles in the stir on this topic and am intrigued. 

Let's discuss why shutting down the department is or isn't a good idea. 

Photobucket

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwayskk
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Bump for later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celeciag
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I think education standards should be nation wide
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celeciag
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HouseofFeast
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Me too.

Quoting celeciag:

Photobucket

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

HouseofFeast
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Come on guys. This is a new topic to debate....Where are youuuuuu?

megdm06
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Quoting HouseofFeast:

Me too.

Quoting celeciag:

Me 3

lovinglife0682
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe the individual states and districts should be in control. Different areas have different needs and should have different standards. For example there are districts who deal with homelessness, abandonment by parents, etc. Their expectations cannot be as high when the children have so much to deal with outside of the classrooms. They need to find a way to meet those students needs, which would be very different than an affluent neighborhood. I am not saying to not teach those students but to find better ways to come along side them and meet their socioeconomic needs.
HouseofFeast
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM

You know that isn't what would happen. It's very apparent by the way impoverished are treated by individual towns and cities that they don't actually care about them.

There is literally a homeless ban where I live and they've outlawed panhandling as a further attack on the homeless. Money talks, and without the government setting clear regulations--it would only have a louder voice.

*this will be one of the only instances you will ever see me actually pull for government involvement.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

I believe the individual states and districts should be in control. Different areas have different needs and should have different standards. For example there are districts who deal with homelessness, abandonment by parents, etc. Their expectations cannot be as high when the children have so much to deal with outside of the classrooms. They need to find a way to meet those students needs, which would be very different than an affluent neighborhood. I am not saying to not teach those students but to find better ways to come along side them and meet their socioeconomic needs.

Photobucket

HouseofFeast
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

BUMp

MsDean
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I will have to read that later.

Why is it though that privelaged always equall white rich kids? It is no longer the case in this day and age and I feel like when I read stuff like that it is trying to reenforce a negative sterotype of minorities.

Enough with my rant, lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)