Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What ages?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM
  • 6 Replies
At what age did your child/children start talking? I mean the normal "mama", "dada" talking.

At what age were they potty trained?
I ask because my SIL has a son who will be 3 soon and he JUST started "talking". You can't understand any of it. It's mostly gibberish. He is also still in diapers. They aren't trying to potty train, though.

My kids were talking before they turned 2. And you could fully understand most of what they were saying at that time. Dd was completely potty trained at 17 months, ds at 19.

Is it normal for a nearly 3yo to not talk? I know it isn't my business and I have no Intention to talk to her about it, I just wanted to know what others thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
WhitleyLyles
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Every child is different. I think the parameters that parents are taught about when a child should do what are misleading.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Sunshine
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

ds2: was slower to speak clearly. He wasn't speaking really clear until he was almost 4

ds1: about 3

ds3: is still a baby so he's just babbling. He can say "baba" though.

lilbit53009
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

my son started talking right after he turned 1. by 1.5 he was talking clearly. by 2 he could speak in full 5+ word sentences.

he was daytime potty trained by 2.5 (just a few months ago) and just this week he's also become night time potty trained too!

all kids are different though. but by 3, they should be talking.  i'd have your sister ask their doctor.  they could start him in some speech therapy classes to get him caught up.

SevysMomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Yeah I would assume something to be wrong with her son. Perhaps she knows and just doesn't say anything to you or whomever.

DS is 2 and half and already potty trained this month and has been talking for awhile. 

MeghanPerez
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM
She's asked my opinion a few times, but I know dh's family likes to twist everything someone says, so I simply tell her to talk to his dr about her concerns.

But she has changed his Dr quite a few times because they tell her that her son shouldn't weigh as much as he does. He weighs 52 lbs.

Quoting SevysMomma:

Yeah I would assume something to be wrong with her son. Perhaps she knows and just doesn't say anything to you or whomever.

DS is 2 and half and already potty trained this month and has been talking for awhile. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymonkeys27
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

My son was late to talk-- he didn't start speaking until about 22 months... he just made up his own, consistent sign language that I unintentionally learned and responded to. It wasn't until my mother pointed that out that I made him start to verbally tell me what he wanted. He was potty trained at 2 years, 3 months old. My daughter started speaking at 12 months, and now at 19 months has about 250 words. Her vocabulary is insane and she uses it all correctly, and speaks with basic sentence structure. She's still in diapers, though. I think kids will speak when they're ready... it's so different for every child. I wouldn't worry at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)