Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice needed! New baby jealousy!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

This saturday we went to visit a new baby on my husbands side of the family.  While I was holding her, my almost 2 yr old FREAKED.  I passed the baby on and picked her up thinking somthing was wrong.  Next time i picked up the baby, my daughter who proceeded to ignore me and play earlier, had another fit grabbing at me.  She was clearly having some jealousy of me holding another baby.  On the way home my husban and I were talking about it and how my son never really displayed anything like that when we had Isabella..and he was the same age then as she is now.  He was just such an easy going kid and we never really saw that out of him when she came along.  Our only concern is lately we have been talking about trying for #3 and now know what behavior we may have to expect from Isabella if there was a new baby in the house.

How did everyone else deal with sibling jealousy like this with a new baby and did it last long? Im thinking maybe we should wait a little longer until she is older and maye it wont be an issue...my husband thinks we cant let a 2 yr old make our life decisions for us (hes totally right!) and that we should just cross that road when we pass it.  advice welcome!!!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
onethentwins
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

My sister bought her oldest two bicycles as present from the new infant. I guess it worked. 

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM
My kids were never jealous of the new baby joining the family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seffiepoo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Im so nervous about this with my three year old. I think my older two will be fine but she might have some issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltyalley1227
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I can't say for sure it worked, but my son is 2. I am due any minute. We practiced a lot throughout the pregnancy with babies of different ages coming over. We watch a baby story on TLC and talk about the ladies going to the hospital and getting the babies out of their tummies and how mommy is going to do that soon. We taught him how to be gentle, not touch eyes, etc. With his stuffed animals and how to hold a baby nicely. He has come a long way so far. Good luck! You have 9 months at least to prepare. She will be almost 3 by then, in sure she will be fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM
None of my kids were ever jealous of a new silbing coming home.

When my oldest was about 10 month old - I was holding someone else's baby and DD came over and starts crashing her walker into my legs repeatedly until I put the other baby down and picked her up. It was interesting to experience.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)