• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bilingual Class for kindergarten?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 62 Replies

My daughter is starting kindergarten this next year our school offers a russian program. They teach 75% russian and 25% english to teach the students to speak their native language better. Would you allow your child to do this? My husbands whole family speaks russian, my daughter already speaks it some but would be learning it more fluently in school.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ivayla
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Great idea!

Time_Lady
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I think it's a great idea, I lived in Romania until I was 7 and took English in kindergarten+

graciesmom6206
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I think immersion programs are wonderful.

kansasmom1978
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

My opinion is that this is The United States of America and English should be the national language.  Our kids should be taught in English.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Yes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aislinn
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Absolutely! No harm in making your child MORE intelligent!

Aislinn
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting kansasmom1978:

My opinion is that this is The United States of America and English should be the national language.  Our kids should be taught in English.

That is...Just so.. I do not even know what to say... They will know English. They will just be more intelligent and more sought after in the work place if they are bilingual...

luvmymonkeys27
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My three year old son is going to a school where they are taught 100% in Welsh until the age of 7... they have English classes, and learn how to count in English etc.,  but for other teaching purposes they are taught in Welsh. The school's goal is for every child to be completely bilingual by the age of 11. I think it's wonderful, there are so many advantages to learning a second language, especially when you are young. 

kansasmom1978
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I have not run across any businesses looking for biligual in Russian. It's Spanish they want.  

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

That is...Just so.. I do not even know what to say... They will know English. They will just be more intelligent and more sought after in the work place if they are bilingual...

I_Am_Batman
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughters speak german, russian, french and then english. I wholeheartedly agree with younger children learning a second language.... they are young enough to retain it and it also helps with math and other studies.

And for the tool who said this is America they should learn english..... you are beyond ignorant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)