Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe crating my dog is not such a good idea *disturbing pics*

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM
  • 177 Replies

My dog is a great dog till you go to leave the house. At that point he will tear up everything in sight and poop and pee everywhere. Well I dont like leaving him outside since it is cold, muddy, and he barks. I have tried many metal cages and he just bends them and weasals his way out. Well I bought a airline plastic cage (vet recommended) thinking it would do the job. Well apparently while I was gone he chewed through the side of it, made a hole about the size of my fist, and stuck his head through trying to get out. When I got home he was having difficulty breathing, vommit all outside the cage, and diarrhea all inside. I couldnt get the cage out of the room since it is so wide it can only squeeze out if it is front first and his head was out the side. I also couldnt get his head out and his neck was really swollen. I tried cutting it with tools I had with no luck so I called the fire department who cut him out.

Here is a pic of his head stuck in the side of the cage =(. He is fine now btw but I guess he will just have to go outside when I am not home and the neighbors will have to deal with the barking.

EDIT:

I have tried obedience classes with him once when we first got him from the pound at 3 months and once around 2. Both times different trainers (the first one was group the second individual). It has not worked and they say it is separation anxiety

I have tried baby gating him in a room with tile and he jumps the gate.

I have tried just shutting the door to the room with tile, and he literally chewed threw it. (ie why we dont have a laundry room door).

The crate is plenty big for him. He can stand up, turn around, etc. It is made for a dog around 120 lbs and he is only 60.

When he did this I was only gone for about 2 hours and I have no clue how he did it.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyto3bees
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

ouxh!!! how did he manage that

beerebelly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my word!  Have you tried obedience school for him so perhaps he will behave and won't have to be crated so much?

Momoftwinkies
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Poor Dog. We have always used the plastic ones to train our dogs. Never had that happen. Good luck.

Kool_Aide
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Wow.
TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM
4 moms liked this
Why not get a large metal crate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Is the crate too small? I would try a bigger, metal one.

beautiful_life
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Wow how in the hell did he manage that?
beerebelly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Why not get a large metal crate?

She said he bends the bars and sneaks out. 

nikkikry
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Poor doggy. Before he went to obedience school, my BILs dog also bent their metal crate while no one was home and ate their couch all up.

1busymomma03
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM

That looks painful! I would get him a bigger metal crate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)