Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh wow, I never expected this from one of MY kids

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 81 Replies

My son told me that if I have another baby that he may be embarrassed that his sibling is a different color than him. :(

Race has never been an issue in our house. My boys love my SO. I just never expected that.

ETA: I guess it was just surprising for him to say that to me because he has never shown any discomfort regarding differences.  My SO's kids are multi-racial, his cousins (my nephews) are biracial, and he absolutely adores my SO.  I don't think it is really embarrassment he is talking about. I think it is more worry that people may say things our point out the fact that his sibling is different. I am not sure. I am going to talk to him about it later though.

It isn't like he hasn't been exposed to all sorts of differences.

Here is a pic of him with a boy we used to babysit:

With his biracial cousins:

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Embers88
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Aww :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bird16_J
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

wow....hmmmm maybe something happened at school or something. I have no idea that's really weird he would say that. If you don't mind my asking what race/ethnicity is your SO?

CafeMom Tickers
kansasmom1978
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM

My stepson lives with us full-time. His bio mom is Korean.  Both his dad and I are white.  His siblings are blonde and blue eyed.  He has said that his friends ask if he's adopted.  He's 15 and just proudly says he's American.

WhitleyLyles
2 moms liked this
Atleast he knows he can be honest with you.
That makes you feel sad huh?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
southernchick06
Could there be someone puting things in his head?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Damn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hippiechic980
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Maybe a chat with him will clear it up. Good luck momma:) I am sure it was a shock to you but kids are good for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ojac
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM
I would think someone said something to him about it. Especially if he has never shown derision for your BF.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM
We are white and he is Mexican and black.

Quoting Bird16_J:

wow....hmmmm maybe something happened at school or something. I have no idea that's really weird he would say that. If you don't mind my asking what race/ethnicity is your SO?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM

my old nieghbor married a black man after her first marriage, she had two boys with her ex, they treated their new biracial brother like shit...I met him when he was 12 and he was already a very angry young man

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)