Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a Summer birthday child? age 5 and above

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM
  • 25 Replies

What is the cut off date for kindergarten in your school area?

What day did they turn 5 and did you send them to kg that year?

thoughts?   what gender also?

**  our cut off date is changing to july 31 this year.   my son's bday is july 17th.  my girls were born in winter and had half the year to be 5 and mature a little and they were girls.  He is the youngest in his preschool class and does good.   BUt he is my last and my baby.  And figure 1 year couldnt hurt.

Also if he was born on his due date he would not be able to go.

I just wonder if I am on the right track.

♥♥♥

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisboog
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I think ours is sept 1st or 16th. Not sure. dd is a sept 21st birthday so we missed it. She's the oldest in her class and is fine with it.

highlandmum
by Spunky Dancer on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Our area is that they have to turn 4 (JK), or 5 (SK) on or by December 31st.  My son started JK at 4 as his birthday is in July.

matofour
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Yes my four kids have late summer birthdays, two in August, two in September. Three girls and a boy. Our school cutoff is oct 1. We have held the three oldest out a year, and my youngest could start this fall, we will wait a year for him as well.
Best choice we ever made, and not really for academic reasons, more for maturity reasons.
Plus, I didn't want my 17 year old going off to college. I was not really concerned with kindergarten, I was more concerned with higher grades.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mi4339mi
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

My son's bday is July 15th. The cutoff for kindergarten here is Sept.1st.

I did send him to kindergaten the same year he turned 5. 

He is one of the youngest in his class and you can definitely tell. While my son excels academically, he is a lot less mature than most of his classmates.

momofnate0707
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM

ds is july 28. he will be 5.
the cutoff here is sept 1. He will be starting kinder this year. 

mommybecky
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Our cut off is sept 1. She turned 5 on August 16. We did start her. She is in first grade now. She turned 6 the day after school started. She is the youngest first grader in the school (there are about 120 in her grade)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TariMeccico
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Dd bday is Aug 1. She went to kindergarten the 25 of Aug at 5 years old. I think the cut off is around Sept 10th.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tlc576
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

my son turned 5 June 8 last summer. Cut off was Sept 1. We sent him in, he is testing in the 1st or second grade level so we couldnt hold him back. He is handling it well.

olivejuicebby

bump 

My son has an August birthday, he'll be 4 this year.

RhondaVeggie
Our cutoff is 9/15 so my son just made it. I sent him when he was five or rather four, his birthday was the third day of kindergarten, because holding kids back is bad for them. He's in first grade now and he'd be totally bored silly in kindergarten.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)