Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should we never have another child bc my dh works off commission?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM
  • 24 Replies
My dh works off commisson. He has been selling motorcyles for that last 11yrs. Sometimes it been good and the last 3 years its been BAD. Well anyway my dh had a job interview today at Toyota And they hired him.. HURRAY, It looks like there is money to be made there. The sales man monthly average is between 2550 to 10 grand. Im getting excited that our life could be normal again. Here is my ? should we not have another child bc our income goes up and down? When I got pregnant with my son we were making 97 grand. 2011 was around 28 thousand. Im planning on going back to school to get some kind of base salary in our home. I feel like we might not ever want to have another baby bc of the commission. I only have one son and I do want another baby if we had the money. THOUGHTS?
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylinCC
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I wouldn't do it right away. I would wait a year or so and see how he's doing with the new job (commission based jobs are always risky) and then evaluate.

mitikusmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this

There's never the perfect time to have another baby.  If you want one, you'll make it work.

Rydersmommy616
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Very true, Im only 29 so I do have some time. But your right maybe we could make it work.
Quoting mitikusmom:

There's never the perfect time to have another baby.  If you want one, you'll make it work.

lovinglife0682
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM
I would just say that during the good years put money away to cover the bad years.
xXxLillithxXx
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Why ask women on cafemom? They're just going to say "no one should have children in case something bad happens and you don't have money" Which is really stupid considering something bad could happen to any one of us at any moment and we could be dirt poor in an instant. If you want another baby then have one. We were poor growing up and my mom worked all the time but she made sure I had my needs met. Its not the end of the world being poor.

Rydersmommy616
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Thank you I think your right. Maybe 4 yrs then I will see. Just no guarntee and I dont want to bring a child into the world and then struggle to feed them.. Thankyou
Quoting KaylinCC:

I wouldn't do it right away. I would wait a year or so and see how he's doing with the new job (commission based jobs are always risky) and then evaluate.

LiliMama18
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I work partially on commission myself - however, I do have a healthy base salary. It's around the average US salary, but the commission is where the real big money is. Does your husband have a base or is it 100% commission?

Like the other poster said, wait a year, see how he does in the new job - also depends on if you have savings, if you own/rent, and other factors. If you are planning on going to school at any point in your life, I'd wait till you complete that - and that would be my advice to anyone, even if they have 5 million in the bank. Getting a quality education is difficult enough without having to worry about schedules, and childcare.

Rydersmommy616
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Well I hate being poor.. Really I hate it and Im excited that dh is getting hired at job that has potentional to give us a better life WHY ASK ANYTHING ON CAFE MOM LOL?
Quoting xXxLillithxXx:

Why ask women on cafemom? They're just going to say "no one should have children in case something bad happens and you don't have money" Which is really stupid considering something bad could happen to any one of us at any moment and we could be dirt poor in an instant. If you want another baby then have one. We were poor growing up and my mom worked all the time but she made sure I had my needs met. Its not the end of the world being poor.

3earthangels
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM
That would be ridiculous to say! Of course you should have another child if you want, it's just going to take a little more financial planning from the two of you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karasmomma2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If everyone waited until the perfect time to have children, then most people would never become parents. Save money while you have it, that way the months that he makes less will balance out. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)