Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think about this... drug and contraband?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

My little brother, who is 12 in the 6th grade, got in trouble at school. My Dad and Stepmom went down to the school today.

Here is the situation from what I understand it. There was a little girl on the bus who goes to school with my brother. She is in 5th or 6th grade. She kept asking him to bring "weed" to her. He didn't bring it, because he has no access to marijuana. The girl kept pestering him every day. Finally, he got tired of her asking, and he went home and put some parsley in a bag. The next afternoon on the bus he gave her the parsley.

He says that he never said that it was "weed" he just handed it to her. The girl took the bag to the back of the bus and started rolling it and asking other kids for lighters. When the bus driver figured out what was going on he confronted the girl, and, of course, she told him that he got it from my brother.

Well, both of them were suspended and my Dad and Stepmom had to go to an expulsion hearing today. The had it put down as "possesion of drugs" and they wanted to expel him.

My Dad was furious. His point is that he wasn't possessing any drugs. When the school called they told him that they have Zero Tolerance. Come to find out they have no Zero Tolerance policy in place in the school system. Also, the kids are all mixing sugar and Kool-Aid and calling it "Happy Crack," but the kids aren't getting trouble for this at all. If they are going to say they have a Zero Tolerance policy then they it should be just that zero tolerance.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure where I stand on the matter. It was just something I found interesting when my Dad was telling me about it. My Dad seems to have his opinions on things, and I don't necessarily agree with him all of the time.

Also, my Dad told the principal that they are not to question my brother without him being present at all. He told him them if they have to call my brother into the office the are to call him before they question my brother. The principal told him that was impossible, and my Dad told him that he has intsructed my brother to tell them that he's not answering any questions until his father is there. My Dad feels like they ask him the same questions over and over leading him to answer however they want him to answer. He told my brother if they give him any problems when he refuses to answer that he is to to, and I quote, tell them, "My Dad said to go to hell." and walk out the front door of the school across the street to a house and ask to use the phone to call my Dad. If they won't allow him to call my father or call my father themselves that he will be calling his attorney. The principal said they would make an exceptions for him.

They have had problems with this middle school since my brother started going there. They had no problems with my sister, but she's a straight A student with the highest GPA in her senior class, and being interviewed by Harvard. Their situations are totally different, but my brother really isn't a bad kid. He just has problems fitting in, and seems to have people blaming stuff that isn't his fault on him sometimes to get themselves out of trouble. (Not this incident, but in the past.)

Okay, that was really long, and I'm not sure if I left anything out. If anyone has any questions,  please feel free to ask.

Again, I would like to state that I do not necessarily agree with anything that my Dad thinks or says. I'm not sure what I would do in this type of situation.  

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TatorsMommy2205
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Oh, I forgot.. They did bring the charge down from "possession of drugs" to "possession of contraband," and they allowed him to go back to class. He is, however, under probation with the school.

TatorsMommy2205
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

bump

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

This sounds like a stupid prank and the threat of expulsion does not fit the crime, in my opinion. I think counseling and drug education for both your brother and the girl would be most fitting. It's just a shame that kids are so young and know about all of this.

TatorsMommy2205
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I can't beleive they are that interested in drugs at that age either. It's scary. My Dad said he wasn't sure what punishment the girl got, but her hearing was after theres and they stuck by after their meeting to talk with the principal again about my brother not answering their questions without a parent.

He said that the girl left with her mom and grandmother, and my brother went back to class. He said he would assume that she must have been expelled, sent to the alternative school, or extended her suspension. It's possible that she may have had a doctor's appointment afterwards and just didn't go back to class.

Quoting JulyBabies:

This sounds like a stupid prank and the threat of expulsion does not fit the crime, in my opinion. I think counseling and drug education for both your brother and the girl would be most fitting. It's just a shame that kids are so young and know about all of this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)