• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abortion Sonogram Law in Effect.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Texas Abortion Sonogram Law Now in Effect After Court Ruling

According to the Houston Chronicle, the controversial Texas sonogram abortion law went into effect Monday. U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks indicated he had no choice but to uphold the law thanks to an appeals court decision.

A three-judge panel of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals forced the ruling when it overturned Judge Sparks' temporary injunction against enforcing the law.

What is the Texas abortion sonogram law?

The law, HB 15, requires a physician performing an abortion to provide the woman who is seeking to terminate her pregnancy information about the possible medical consequences of the procedure, information on alternatives to having an abortion, as well as a sonogram of the fetus and an audio recording of the fetal heartbeat. There are exceptions if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest, the woman is a minor or if the fetus is suffering from an irreversible medical condition. Unless the woman lives more than 100 miles from a facility providing an abortion, the woman must wait for 24 hours after viewing the sonogram.

What was Judge Sparks' position on the sonogram law?

The Huffington Post reported in August, that Judge Sparks upheld the requirement to perform the sonograms but struck down the provision that required doctors to describe the images to women and required women to see the images. He ruled this violated the free speech rights of both doctors and patients. Sparks was troubled by the provision that required woman who were seeking exemptions for rape or incest to sign statements to that effect. He also struck down certain enforcement provisions of the law. Sparks blocked enforcement of the law pending a review of the appeals court.

What did the three-judge panel of the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals say?

The panel ruled Jan. 10 the sonogram rule did not violate Constitutional protections, according to the Dallas Morning News. Contrary to Judge Sparks' ruling, the panel stated the law only required doctors give truthful information to women seeking abortions, and thus did not compel what it termed "ideological speech." In a concurring opinion, Appeals Court Judge Patrick Higginbothanstated the law adhered to the state's right to try to persuade citizens to choose a course it prefers and the prohibition of the state from forcing a citizen from adopting the state's views as his own involuntarily. He cautioned though that the state could not suppress access to abortions through the avenue of informed consent.

*I think it's a great law, and I hope it expands soon. A lot of women are misinformed when it comes to abortion and I think the more information the better all around!*

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GomezMami2908
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:23 PM

BUMP!

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I think it's ridiculous. They are doing it in attempt to make the woman feel guilty and that isn't right (I've come to that conclusion based on the fact that they are making exceptions for certain situations that some people deem a "more acceptable" reason for abortion than others), this is a legal medical procedure.

Ihereainti
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM
This is wrong... People should be allowed to have abortions if they choose with out the side of guilt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momxtwo_kj
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM
I don't think they are doing that to make them feel guilty. They want to make sure the woman completely understand what they are doing and make sure that's really what they want to do. If they get an abortion spur of the moment they may regret it thd next day.

Quoting JulyBabies:

I think it's ridiculous. They are doing it in attempt to make the woman feel guilty and that isn't right (I've come to that conclusion based on the fact that they are making exceptions for certain situations that some people deem a "more acceptable" reason for abortion than others), this is a legal medical procedure.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I would just lie and say I was raped.

boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

i agree...

Quoting JulyBabies:

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Quoting momxtwo_kj:

I don't think they are doing that to make them feel guilty. They want to make sure the woman completely understand what they are doing and make sure that's really what they want to do. If they get an abortion spur of the moment they may regret it thd next day.

Quoting JulyBabies:

Then why make exceptions for rape, incest and medical problems...the end result is the same?

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM

The idea of letting women be able to really be sure they want to do it isn't wrong, but honestly that's not what it's about. It's about anti choicers being unable so far to make abortion illegal so they're aiming to make fewer women abort.

angelenia
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM
sorry, but no woman anywhere gets an abortion spur of the moment. This is not a legitimate argument for this ridiculous legislation.

Quoting momxtwo_kj:

Quoting JulyBabies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I think it's a crock of shit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)