• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

treating Adhd without med..any advice piog

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM
  • 7 Replies
Looking for advice on what has worked for you and your child when dealing with adhd. My dd is 8 yrs old and in 3rd grade. We do not want to medicate her so I was wondering if anyone has any advice..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommyof2wa
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

my boyfriend grew up diagnosed with ADD. He was medicated, but his mom also had him on a strict diet to help control it.. He is not home tonight or I would ask him on specifics, but I know he was not allowed to have almost anything with sugar or caffiene. I know ketchup and most tomato products were cut out or very infrequent.

beautisticaware
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM
I have used the cup of coffee method with my son. It worked for a while. He is now on an antidepressant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabba2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I know that even though I use meds with 2 of my kids I still cut out a lot of foods that have been shown to effect kids with ADD/ADHD.

Hot Dogs, Red Dye #4 (or 40 its in a lot of things, you can look it up I am sure) sugar is very limited, no sodas or caffeine if it can be helped, chocolate makes my little girl CRAZY hyper - like she will literally run through the house and can't stop so she only gets that like as a special treat.

You can research on line - I know that stricter diets exist for those who choose the non-medicated route. Good Luck!

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Before I fill DS's prescription, I've been trying a cup of coffee each morning. He says it's working but I haven't checked in with the teacher yet. She just came back from maternity leave. JMO but I would keep an open mind regarding the meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM
What she said about diet. Op How is her diet? Do u eat processed foods?

Quoting tabba2:

I know that even though I use meds with 2 of my kids I still cut out a lot of foods that have been shown to effect kids with ADD/ADHD.

Hot Dogs, Red Dye #4 (or 40 its in a lot of things, you can look it up I am sure) sugar is very limited, no sodas or caffeine if it can be helped, chocolate makes my little girl CRAZY hyper - like she will literally run through the house and can't stop so she only gets that like as a special treat.

You can research on line - I know that stricter diets exist for those who choose the non-medicated route. Good Luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof2wa
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Our diet is probably not the best. We are trying to work on getting it more healthy and more natural. It is just hard on a limited budget...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)