• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 year old little girl fights attempted aduction

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 20 Replies

BREMEN, Ga. - Police in Bremen say they have made an arrest in an attempted abduction of a 7-year-old girl at a Wal-Mart on Wednesday.

Bremen Police Chief Keith Pesnell says the incident occurred around 11 a.m. at a Wal-Mart Supercenter off of the Highway 27 North bypass. A man grabbed the second-grade child, Brittney Baxter, in the toy aisle, put his hand over her mouth and tried to leave the store, said Pesnell.

Surveillance video of the incident shows the man appearing to stake out the toy department for 10 minutes before picking the child.

"We were just talking, and after I said I was going to get my momma and he just grabbed me," Baxter said. "I was screaming and kicking him and he just dropped me off and ran off."

Police credit the girl's actions for insuring her safety.

“The child did everything right now today – fought, screamed when she could and was the hero of this situation today, or it could have turned out different,” said Pesnell.

Investigators said the child's mother, Georgeanne Baxter, was close by.

"I couldn't believe it...It seems like it's almost unreal that somebody would do that to a kid. We live in a small town and nobody ever expects that anybody here would do that," Georgeann Baxter said.

Police immediately sent out a description of the suspect.

About an hour after the incident, police arrested 25-year-old Tommy Woods in Tallapoosa. Woods is on parole for manslaughter, according to police. Woods denied the abduction attempt as he was led by police into jail.

“I’m innocent. I didn’t touch anybody, didn’t bother anybody. I wasn’t there,” said Woods.

Woods was being held in county jail late Wednesday.

Police said they urged parents to be extra-vigilant with their children.

It wont let me copy and paste the URL but you can go to www.myfoxatlanta.com and see the story on the main page...

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
So_Devious20
by Be.the.change.♥ on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Apparently she wasn't close enough. Smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM
I have never thought twice about letting my 3rd grader go to the next aisle. I don't see how the mother is at fault.

Quoting So_Devious20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
So_Devious20
by Be.the.change.♥ on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM
It said "close by". And I've never let a third grader out of my eyesight ever. 7 is still very young.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

I have never thought twice about letting my 3rd grader go to the next aisle. I don't see how the mother is at fault.

Quoting So_Devious20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xXSoSincereXx
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

This is the reason why our kids are always with us wherever we go.  We keep our eyes on them at all times.  We dont live in a safe world and there are sickos everywhere.  I'd rather be safe than sorry later.

BV88
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Good girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenAndLean
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM
That's scary especially because it is very close by. Thank god we don't shop there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed107
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw this here earlier,I'm very proud of the little girl. No way I'd let my 7 yr.old wonder off alone.

GreenAndLean
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM
So it must be her fault then SMH

Quoting So_Devious20:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelyladybump
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank goodness the little girl was smart enough to know what to do. Goes to show you never know what can happen, even in a small town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikiOcasio
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM

....Sigh.... Here we go with the whole "perfect mother" act  

Quoting So_Devious20:

It said "close by". And I've never let a third grader out of my eyesight ever. 7 is still very young.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Quoting So_Devious20:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)