Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so, the tv conked out

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM
  • 12 Replies
My parents bought a big flatscreen tv when they first came out. Cost them a couple thousand dollars. It finally just died. No idea what happened. So dad goes in the garage, and pulls out the old tv. Remember the old tvs? Big and body? Well its smaller than the flatscreen. But back then, it was a pretty big tv. My niece comes over and sees it. *its a baby tv!* dad was like wow, what considered big has definitely changed. He was grumpy about it the rest of the day. It is too a big tv. It's not a baby tv.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

We have one of the old "tube" tvs.  No flatscreens here as long as our old tvs work.  I have seen too many flat screens die within a few months w/o a good reason.

SandraJo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM
DH and I both had old tube tvs. But we had to get rid of them to move here. Now its almost impossible to find them. DH wants to get a tv when we move, I'm kinda like, eh, we'll see.

Quoting frndlyfn:

We have one of the old "tube" tvs.  No flatscreens here as long as our old tvs work.  I have seen too many flat screens die within a few months w/o a good reason.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

haha that's funny.

We finally upgraded to the high def flat screen last year. they are awesome.

sweet.lil.mama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Our 42 in plasma died. It was 4 yrs old, we paid 1500...we have a 19in tube TV lol ugh I miss our big TV, but dh wants to buy an led not a cheap LCD so we are saving up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandraJo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I want one. But I don't know if I want to shell out money for it. But DH and I are both gamers and want to get new game consoles. So we kinda need a tv for that. So, I have to figure it into our budget. Cause if I have a tv, I'm going to want cable again.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

haha that's funny.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

We see them at the salvation army or good will but usually only the 20 inch ones.  Everyone seems to want 40 inches or bigger, hence the LCD/LED starting at that size in alot of stores.

Quoting SandraJo:

DH and I both had old tube tvs. But we had to get rid of them to move here. Now its almost impossible to find them. DH wants to get a tv when we move, I'm kinda like, eh, we'll see.

Quoting frndlyfn:

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

pawn shop is a great place to buy TV's and most for 10 or 20 bucks you can buy a warranty that if it craps out you can come back and get the money you paid for it towards another.  I have had 2 tv's I bought in pawn shops 5 and 7 years now no problems BUT they are not flat screens either.  IMO if you have to save up for a friggin TV your spending way more than you can afford.

SandraJo
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM
I had a 25 or 26 inch. But if there were any words or captions on the screen, I could not read them. It was just a blur. I hated it. I couldn't imagine trying to read on a 20 inch.

Quoting frndlyfn:

We see them at the salvation army or good will but usually only the 20 inch ones.  Everyone seems to want 40 inches or bigger, hence the LCD/LED starting at that size in alot of stores.

Quoting SandraJo:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Bf's sons both have flat screens for their gaming monitors instead of a computer monitor LOL.  Our monster of a tv out front is 35 inches i think but it weighs a good 20-30 lbs lol.

mes_deux_amours
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

We were late bloomers on doing it... it just wasn't important to us. Shop around and look for a great deal :)

Quoting SandraJo:

I want one. But I don't know if I want to shell out money for it. But DH and I are both gamers and want to get new game consoles. So we kinda need a tv for that. So, I have to figure it into our budget. Cause if I have a tv, I'm going to want cable again.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

haha that's funny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)