Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your 10 year old...

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM
  • 64 Replies

read an adult book about bullying? I haven't read it all yet (I will before letting her read it), but it's a great book and I think it could help her a lot if she ever gets bullied. So far though it's said some words that aren't appropriate and under other circumstances I'd NEVER let her read... so I'm wondering, would you let her read a book that is slightly mature if it was for a good reason?

It's 70 stories/letters from victims of bullying. I guess I could have her skip the really bad ones? But they are all such great stories I'm not sure I want her to miss them.

What say you...?

You've got questions? We've got answers.

Join the Money Making Bloggers Group!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skymama10
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I would. She's old enough to understand what's appropriate and not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lishes
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I probably would.  I have a bit of a potty mouth and she probably wouldn't read any word she hasn't heard before.  If she would I would simply explain what the word means and that it's a bad word.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM

What's the book called?

MyNameIsRAVEN
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM
I would let her read it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I would definitely let my kids read it. I know they have already heard the worst words without the benefit of learning a good lesson.

randomosityblog
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

What's the book called?

Dear Bully: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories

It's about kids that were bullied, that are now authors.. it's really a great book so far. My 10 year old is kind of odd, like these kids were, she loves books.. would rather read than do anything else.. she loves to write, and she couldn't care less about being popular. Right now it's not a problem but it could be in future years.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yes.

LisaRoyNKaden
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I would....  what if you sat down and read them together? That way, if she were to have any questions on anything, you could answer them! : ) 

connorsmommy120
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I think she's old enough. Maybe start it out by warning her there are some inappropriate words in there, but that you think she is old enough to understand that she isn't aloud to use them.

kayandjsmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM
I would, even the bad stories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)