• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swim Lessons or Gymnastics?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM
  • 57 Replies

Poll

Question: Swim Lessons or Gymnastic Lessons?

Options:

Swim!

Gymnastics!

Choose something else!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

Hi Ladies,

My SO and I have decided to enroll our DD (4.5 yrs old) into ballet classes. She will be taking 1 ballet class a week.

I also want to enroll her in either swim lessons or gymnastics lessons that would start next month.

They are both $40 a month. Swim lessons would be either 2x a week (25-30min) for 4 weeks or once a week for 8 weeks. Gymnastics would be 1x a week (45 min).

I can't decide.

We already go swimming with DD every Friday, but she definitely isn't a strong swimmer. DD loves to swim. At the same time she is every energetic and I can see her loving gymnastics.

Do your children take gymnastics or swim lessons? Do they love them?

***UPDATE***

Thank you so much ladies for your replies! I really appreciate you all taking the time to put your two cents into my post!

We've decided to go with swim lessons =)

A lot of you made excellent points. I think what convinced me the most is that summer is coming and we will definitely be doing a lot of swimming so it will be important for our DD to become a stronger swimmer =)

Next September we will consider putting her in gymnastics! I really like the idea of doing swimming now and then maybe doing gymnastics later.

SO, I made an appointment for my DD to get a swim evaluation tonight! There are two pre-school levels for swim lessons so we will find out what level to put her in and then she might start lessons next week.

Thanks again for your thoughts ladies! =D You are all AWESOME!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina18
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM

BTW, my DD is 4.5 yrs old if that influences your vote ;-)

KaroGreenly
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Gymnastics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Swimming is life skill she should do that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Ditto.

Quoting kjsmama0206:

Swimming is life skill she should do that

lilyrose842006
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Swimming, for the safety factor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momsharas
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM

My daughter plays t-ball. She isn't girly enoguh for ballet. We are teaching her to swim. It really depends on what she likes but personally I wouldn't pay for someone to teach my kid how to swim. I'd probably choose gymnastics.

emilysmom8
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I say you ask your DD which one she would prefer.
ballerina18
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Quoting momsharas:

My daughter plays t-ball. She isn't girly enoguh for ballet. We are teaching her to swim. It really depends on what she likes but personally I wouldn't pay for someone to teach my kid how to swim. I'd probably choose gymnastics.

That's what my SO says. He says we can just teach DD how to swim.

I'm honestly torn.

ballerina18
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Quoting emilysmom8:

I say you ask your DD which one she would prefer.

She wants BOTH! LOL! When I tell her she has to choose only one she just keeps flip flopping.

.oOMellyOo.
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been a lifeguard and taught gymnastics.... if I could choose one or the other for my kids I would definitely have them do swim lessons. Gym is fun :) Swim lessons can save your life. JMO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)