Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone a Pharmacy Tech or an actual Pharmacist?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM
  • 28 Replies

I am looking for work and was thinking about this?  What did it take for you to become certified?  Do you make good money?  I have applied at Walgreens and they will help me get certified, but what does that entail?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I have been a tech for 25 years...i hate it, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone...the pay isnt what they tell you it i, the hours are f8d up and it is a really thankless job

xXSoSincereXx
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM

where do you work?  

Quoting shivasgirl:

I have been a tech for 25 years...i hate it, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone...the pay isnt what they tell you it i, the hours are f8d up and it is a really thankless job

blondie.mom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM
I'm in the process of studying for my ptcb exam, which will certify me to be a tech. I only want to do this because I will be going to school to be a pharmacist and want the experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM
I did it for a few months since the state I lived in gave you 12 months to get certified from the time you start working.

I hated it. It was terrible, I worked customer service for years but this was a whole different level. People were CRAZY.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM
My friend had a 4 year degree in Chemistry plus 4 years of pharm school.

I believe you can do a 2 year undergraduate and then 4 years of Pharm school after taking and passing the PCAT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nancym3
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM
My sil graduates from pharmacy school in the spring. She has worked her ass off in school though. She is going to be a pharmacist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofnate0707
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I have been a Certified Pharmacy Technician for 11 years. I love my job!
But I also have a specialty that I do. I am also IV Certified. I have worked in retail (Eckerd, Kroger), Call Center (Medicaid Prior Authorizations), Hospitals (OR, L&D, General Pharmacy), Long Term Acute Care, and now I am the tech in an Infectious Disease Clinic.
I started making minimum wage and am now at $15/hr. I know it isn't much, but I pretty much make my own hours and work with a good friend.
I got certified before they required schooling. 

Famousglm714
by Gina on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rec104
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Nope, sounds like it requires a lot of math.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angelbabii407
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I love my job! I work at cvs. I have busted my ass since I have been there but some of my patients make it so damn worth it. These people will ask me how my son is, and how school is going. They come in just to say hi. Doesn't mean we don't have some crazy ass people and some adicts that come thru as well, but the good ones make it worth it. Cvs trained me and I had to go take a test to become state certified. Im working on getting my national licensing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)