Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever taken Baclofen?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

So last week I finally went at saw a doctor for my finger. She thinks it is either jammed, broken or I have Raynaud's Phenomenom. So she gave me what I thought was an anti-inflammatory med. but it turns out it is a muscle relaxer. She precribed a 20mg pill that I am to take 3 times a day.

I took the med. for the first time yesterday and by the 3rd dose I thought I had been drinking. I went to bed stumbling and tripping. Today I only took one dose around lunch time and I feel like my brain is asleep but I am awake. Is this normal? I have  never taken a muscle relaxer before.

I just looked up the dosing for this and it seems that 20mg is the highest does and they are suppose to gradually move you up to the highest does but she did not. With me working I can not take that many pills a day. I drive 80 miles round trip and that would be dangerous on this current dosing.

I am thinking  I need to call her tomorrow and see if  she can put me on something different.

Thank you TheGreatCthulhu for the siggy!!!!

http://homedonesouthernnails.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

BUMP!

KMAsMommy9182
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Why on earth did she give you a muscle relaxer for a broken finger?  Muscle relaxers do exactly what they say...they relax all the muscles in your body.  I rolled my car over in college (gotta love black ice) and they gave me muscle relaxers, but I was only able to take them at night because I would fall asleep.  You should not be driving if you are taking these during the day, and I am pretty sure that there is a warning on the prescription that states that.  Take a couple ibuprofen during the day, and save the good stuff for bedtime.

PinkyPan
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I looked it up and it advices not to suddenly stop taking it. I would call your Doctor in the morning. Be careful. This is what I found.

Important information about baclofen

Baclofen may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of baclofen. Do not use baclofen at a time when muscle tone is needed to assure safe balance and movement for certain activities. In some situations, it may endanger your physical safety to be in a state of reduced muscle tone.

You may have withdrawal symptoms such as seizures or hallucinations, when you stop using baclofen after using it over a long period of time.

Do not stop using baclofen without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely. 

M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I guess because she is not 100% sure that it is broken. Like since the appt. I have been paying close attention to the pain. When it is cold my finger hurts something bad; but when it is warm (or I am in a warm enviroment) it does not hurt at all. Which that being the case it is leaning more towards me having Raynaud's.

I have not driven on it. I was off work yesterday and did not go in today for personal reasons.

Ibuprofen does not touch the pain at all when I have a flair.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

Why on earth did she give you a muscle relaxer for a broken finger?  Muscle relaxers do exactly what they say...they relax all the muscles in your body.  I rolled my car over in college (gotta love black ice) and they gave me muscle relaxers, but I was only able to take them at night because I would fall asleep.  You should not be driving if you are taking these during the day, and I am pretty sure that there is a warning on the prescription that states that.  Take a couple ibuprofen during the day, and save the good stuff for bedtime.

Binkys_Buttons
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I take it every day for my ms
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Yeah I read that as well.

Quoting PinkyPan:

I looked it up and it advices not to suddenly stop taking it. I would call your Doctor in the morning. Be careful. This is what I found.

Important information about baclofen

Baclofen may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of baclofen. Do not use baclofen at a time when muscle tone is needed to assure safe balance and movement for certain activities. In some situations, it may endanger your physical safety to be in a state of reduced muscle tone.

You may have withdrawal symptoms such as seizures or hallucinations, when you stop using baclofen after using it over a long period of time.

Do not stop using baclofen without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely. 

KMAsMommy9182
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

If it is Raynaud's, then your doctor is an idiot.  They do not use muscle relaxers to treat Reynaud's.

Quoting M.I.A...P.O.W:

I guess because she is not 100% sure that it is broken. Like since the appt. I have been paying close attention to the pain. When it is cold my finger hurts something bad; but when it is warm (or I am in a warm enviroment) it does not hurt at all. Which that being the case it is leaning more towards me having Raynaud's.

I have not driven on it. I was off work yesterday and did not go in today for personal reasons.

Ibuprofen does not touch the pain at all when I have a flair.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I don't know. All I know is she is not 100% sure what is going on.

CrystalPystol
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM
I take it for cerebral palsy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)