• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fluid in my ear Help *EDIT* Went to the dr.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM
  • 28 Replies

Hi all, need some quick advise. I'll be going to the dr. But not till after school tomorrow, I'm a teacher and took off 2 days already this week because I've been so sick. The last 3 days I have what I believe has been the flu. Very bad cold symptoms, sore throat, nose running, coughing, high fever, severe body aches and pains. Well my fever went away and thought that was the start of getting better, boy was I wrong! Today I'm coughing more, and my chest is tight, so I'm pretty sure its the start of bronchitis (I'm asthmatic, so I pretty much know when I have bronchitis). Then in the past 3 hours my right ear is completely Clogged, to the point I can't hear anything out of that ear. It isn't hurting YET, however I do know that this is what causes ear infections, It is definitely fluid that's clogging it cause when I bounce around on one side (trying to unclog the ear) I feel it squishing around. Anyway, does anyone know how I can get the fluid out of my ear? I'm gonna try a decongestant allergy med but can't for another hour because I took a tylenol cold and flu before. Uggg this is so annoying and I'm terrified of waking up with ear pain. This will only be a temporary fix because I am definitely going to the dr tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for your help, and sorry this is so long, guess I was kind of venting too,lol.

*Hi all, thank you all for your advise and kind words.  I unfortunately had a really bad night last night and almost ended up in the er.  I woke up at 4 am because I was having trouble breathing.  I took my inhalor 2 doses, and (i'll spare you the details) after that I was breathing a little bit better, but now the pain in the ear started.  It wasn't clogged anymore, but it was sure hurting.  I took some of you ladies advise, I took some advils, sat in my bathroom with the hot water in the shower running, and I didn't have a heating pad, so I improvised I took a hot wet washcloth, put it in 2 ziplock bags, and I layed down on it under my head. I ended up at the dr. today, and low and behold I have very bad bronchitis, and a severe ear infection, and he said my sinuses are pretty much infected too, so in other words, a complete respiratory infection.  He wanted me to go to the hospital to get an xray to make sure it wasn't pneumonia, but I can't afford that so he sent me home with antiobitic prescription.  My ear is feeling better because of the advils I'm taking but I'm having ALOT of problems with the bronchitis tonight, I'm having a hard time breathing without it hurting me.  My chest is hurting so bad, I don't know if I'm gonna last the night without going to the er.  Anyway, thanks everyone!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM

heat a raw potatoe in the microwave. pierce it wiht a fork so it doesnt explode. heat high 5 mins. wrap in hand towel. Go sit in a chair and apply to the ear that hurts. the heat will warm the ear and help the fluid drain. Repeat if needed FEEL BETTER MOM!

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Get a wash cloth, run it under hot water and wring it out. Then go lay down with that ear down on the rag against a pillow. Or do the potato thing.

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

^^ yep the potato thing works and go to walgreens pharmacy and ask for primatene for the bronchitis. hope you feel better.

Hartbrayka
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

This is so irritating and annoying. It is almost worse than having ear pain, it's a very annoying feeling that I can't get out.  Don't have a potato handy, but will try the wash cloth thing when I go to bed in a little while.  I'm starting to get dizzy cause it's screwing with my equilibrium now, uggg.   The potato thing sounds handy, gotta try it next time. 

Thanks ladies. 

Still up for more ideas, keep em coming. 

Hartbrayka
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

is primatene prescription or over the counter?

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

^^ yep the potato thing works and go to walgreens pharmacy and ask for primatene for the bronchitis. hope you feel better.

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

its OTC looks like this...

Quoting Hartbrayka:

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

Mommy2LNS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

they keep it behind the counter so you have to ask for it..I believe its around 10 bucks

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

its OTC looks like this...

Quoting Hartbrayka:

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

JennyTime
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Ok, I gave the same advice last week to another mom. She pm me telling be how much I helped her. If you get pain, warm up extra virgin olive oil. Put 2 drops in your ear and a cotton ball to keep liquid in and air out. I have horrible ear issues and hot compresses and tylenol do not work. THIS DOES! !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vanna_k
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I don't have advice, just wanted to say I'm sorry!! You sound miserable. I hope you feel better soon :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)