Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax question...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM
  • 22 Replies

I need some help..

i filed my taxes this year already, and gotten back my re-found. here is what i need help about..

i have two girls that i can clam, but this year it is my ex  husband turn to clam my oldest girl on his taxes. now i didn't clam her at all, but the tax lady put her on my taxes as a nondependent-not claiming child. she told me that i had to clam it that way because she lives with me. well i guess he tried to clam her as child living with him, and it kept kicking him off with red flags. so now he is pissed off at me for even putting her on my taxes at all. our divorce states that i can clam her one year and he clams her the next.. so did i do this wrong?? i shouldn't listen that the tax girl should i?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM

he is trying to claim her for earned income credit. If your taxes state that she lives with you for more that 1/2 the year and you claimed eic on her he can't.. By irs, he can't get eic for her unless she lives with him half of the time and he makes more than you.

KME3
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Famousglm714
by Gina on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM
That's probably what he did wrong. He told them that she didn't live with him.

Quoting darcibeisheim:

he is trying to claim her for earned income credit. If your taxes state that she lives with you for more that 1/2 the year and you claimed eic on her he can't.. By irs, he can't get eic for her unless she lives with him half of the time and he makes more than you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillysmomma124
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:04 AM

he is trying to clam her living with him. the tax lady told me altough it is his turn to clam her this year, he dont get the earned income credit b/c she lives with me. that is the way that the irs is doing things now.

idk it is making my head hurt

Quoting opal10161973:

That's probably what he did wrong. He told them that she didn't live with him.

Quoting darcibeisheim:

Tea4Tas
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM

He can't claim her for EIC-because you claimed her for that. He can never claim her for that, because there is a lived with requirement. He can only claim her as a dependent as per your divorce agreement.

lillysmomma124
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM
That is what the tax lady told me as well. I know that he is going to try to take me to court over it. Witch to me i think is stupied on his part. To go to court and tell the jouge that he lies on his irs taxes

Quoting Tea4Tas:

He can't claim her for EIC-because you claimed her for that. He can never claim her for that, because there is a lived with requirement. He can only claim her as a dependent as per your divorce agreement.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elle7777
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Tea4Tas is right.

I don't know what he thinks he can take you to court for. He is the one trying to do his taxes incorrectly. The non-custodial parents claims the exemption for the child (gets the child tax credit) but is not supposed to say the child lives with them to claim eic. Doing so would be fraud, and he may be audited and have to pay it back.

Quoting lillysmomma124:

That is what the tax lady told me as well. I know that he is going to try to take me to court over it. Witch to me i think is stupied on his part. To go to court and tell the jouge that he lies on his irs taxes

Quoting Tea4Tas:

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Spell check?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Quoting lillysmomma124:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

If he is caught, he can be made to pay it back, and they will ban him from claiming the EIC for up to 10 years. Which screws him over if he remarries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)