Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plan B.......what do you think? with poll

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think this is a good idea?

Options:

yes

no

undecided

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/health/Plan_B_Vending_Machines_Shippensburg_University_020912

Shippensburg Reevaluates Plan B Vending Machines

FDA To Look At University's Dispensing Practices

Updated: Thursday, 09 Feb 2012, 3:26 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 09 Feb 2012, 3:26 PM EST

Shippensburg University says the Food and Drug Administration will be taking a look at the way it's making Plan B medication available in a vending machine at the campus health center.

Shippensburg University President Bill Rudd said he has "contacted the FDA and invited officials to come to campus and review our dispensing practices."

Rudd said the question about the dispensing method "is a valid one" and pledged to keep the community informed on the university's work, including seeking "input into any possible changes in delivery method."

"However, while we gather input and evaluate the situation, the University will continue to make the medication available for purchase through the current system at the health center as is being done nationwide," Rudd said.

Plan B is legally available over the counter to anyone over 17. School officials say making it available through a vending machine keeps things a bit more comfortable for students who may need it.

The cost for the medication is paid by the purchasers. No state tax funds or student health fees are used for the medication. It is also made available at cost.

The university said in an earlier statement that it conducted a survey about health center services, and 85 percent of the respondents supported making Plan B available.

In Rudd's statement on Thursday , he made clear that the university is not dispensing RU-486, also called the abortion pill. He said Plan B will not harm a developing embryo or fetus, work on women who are already pregnant, and it does not contain estrogen and does not cause serious side effects in users. He also reasserted that Shippensburg is "among the majority of universities and colleges in Pennsylvania and the nation to make Plan B available to students."

"The machine, which vends only health-related items, is in a private room in our health center and the health center is accessible only by students 17 and older and not the public," Rudd wrote in his statement. "Students proceed to a check-in desk in the lobby and after checking in using appropriate identification are granted access to the private treatment area. No state-supported or taxpayer-supported dollars are used for this service."

Doctors say contracting a sexually-transmitted disease or developing infertility are some of the risks when you use Plan B as birth control instead of as an emergency contraceptive.

The university acknowledges that many have expressed concern that the medication is available in a vending machine and without what they consider to be necessary sharing of information prior to purchase.

Rudd noted that students do have the opportunity to discuss important decisions in their lives with medical, pastoral or counseling staff.

The college president said the evaluation began Wednesday with a meeting that involved students, faculty and others, and in addition to FDA input they will contact other colleges and universities nationwide about their delivery method.

"We appreciate all the comments, the concerns and, yes, even the criticisms as we do our best for our students at Shippensburg University."

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
outtamymynd
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM
I don't have a problem with it. I've used it before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

BUMP!

Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Its simple for a college aged person to get it now. Its more affordable in the vending (25, I heard) so I'm for it. I think that those that will abuse it will no matter what, just like any medication, and this is not the abortion pill. If it was the abortion pill in a vending machine, it would be a different story. They just need to make sure to have the information packet with the medication in the mchine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Birth control should always be easily accessible. So I have no issue with this what so ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjfamily
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM
I am all for it! Easy access with reduce abortion and welfare babies .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_2_jasper
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM
I think it is a great idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rancharobeans
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Not a fan of plan B or most medications. I wouldn't want it to be unavailable to the public who would want it

AF2011
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM
I'm for it. I rather she take the plan b pill then get an abortion or be a horrible mother if she did get pregnant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

bump

saraface5383
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM
I have no problem with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)