Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When my cat tries to cover her litter...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:28 AM
  • 36 Replies

She makes a huge pile of it on the floor. If I don't get it right away it's a pile of litter ...

I want to get one of those covers but at this point dh cleans the litter and if he skips a day---gross! ALL that smell trapped in there. I think we may need a rug for the whole area because she sprays it like crazy.

It get's behind everything and on the walls and it's crazy.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Invest in an outdoor mat to place in the area.  Just be aware depending on the material she may not like the feel under her paws.  A sheet or large towel may work just as well, just shake it out when you need to.

champagne_rose
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Invest in an outdoor mat to place in the area.  Just be aware depending on the material she may not like the feel under her paws.  A sheet or large towel may work just as well, just shake it out when you need to.

This is what I have been thinking...but then I get advice to get cover. Litter must be changed daily for that.

A towel would be comfy and familiar for our cat. She is not stupid or anything, just can't seem to cover it...and sometimes she won't try(when she does it's messy).

If I find a mat, I will get something soft and comfy for her.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:52 AM

That is why i thought an old towel would be good, perhaps you could put towel over mat or something.  I dont know what kind of space you have but there are big mats you would see in a garage that are a plastic/rubber material.  Easy to clean.

AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:25 AM

I had one of those cover thingers, and it was great. And if I still had a cat I would get those net thingers that you put in them ... hang on I'll find a link. all you have to do is pull out the top one and it works like a sieve. They're great.

AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:28 AM

These things

Sift Clean Sifting Litter Liners - Single

Start Sifting, Stop Scooping! Extend the life of your litter by over 50% when you use the Sift Clean Sifting Litter Liners. Simply put one regular liner down in the litter box (one included) and place the sifting liners on top. Fill box with your preferred brand of litter. When it's time to clean the box, simply pull-up on the sifting liner and the waste is removed, leaving clean litter behind. The process is clean, you do not have to touch the waste or wash the litter box because SIFT CLEAN+ solid liners keep the dirt away. Works with most current brands of cat litter, both standard clay and clumping litters. 36" x 40" liners fit most regular and hooded litter pans. Each package contains 28 Sifting Liners and 2 regular liners.

Customers who previously used Purina® Tidy Cats® Quick Sifting Liners (which are no longer being marketed by Purina®) will enjoy a smooth transition to the Sift Clean Sifting Litter Liners.

mrstheriault
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:30 AM

maybe you could change litter brand to help with the stink and then cover it? we use fresh step multiple cat and a cover for just my one cat, and it doesn't need to be changed more than once a week. she still tracks litter out but at least it's not thrown out. 

and liners only work if your cat doesn't have claws. mine does.. :/

(i underline the change litter bit so you know i didn't ignore your comments on the cover)

champagne_rose
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AnnieMcD:

These things

Sift Clean Sifting Litter Liners - Single

Start Sifting, Stop Scooping! Extend the life of your litter by over 50% when you use the Sift Clean Sifting Litter Liners. Simply put one regular liner down in the litter box (one included) and place the sifting liners on top. Fill box with your preferred brand of litter. When it's time to clean the box, simply pull-up on the sifting liner and the waste is removed, leaving clean litter behind. The process is clean, you do not have to touch the waste or wash the litter box because SIFT CLEAN+ solid liners keep the dirt away. Works with most current brands of cat litter, both standard clay and clumping litters. 36" x 40" liners fit most regular and hooded litter pans. Each package contains 28 Sifting Liners and 2 regular liners.

Customers who previously used Purina® Tidy Cats® Quick Sifting Liners (which are no longer being marketed by Purina®) will enjoy a smooth transition to the Sift Clean Sifting Litter Liners.

ahhhh this would be nice...dh would still have to do it but he would like this lol.

radioheid
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM
2 moms liked this

At least yours grabs the litter. My mentally challenged cat will paw at the wall, curtains, whatever happens to be *near* the litter box. Occasionally he'll actually tag the litter, but more often than not, he's trying to cover his dookie with the wall.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

champagne_rose
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Quoting radioheid:

At least yours grabs the litter. My mentally challenged cat will paw at the wall, curtains, whatever happens to be *near* the litter box. Occasionally he'll actually tag the litter, but more often than not, he's trying to cover his dookie with the wall.

Mine has done that before...she hasn't done that in a while though.

mrstheriault
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:34 AM

gah! mine does that! she shredded my tablecloth and a towel and tried to kill my dog's crate cover! i have noooo idea why they do that! drives me nuts. 

Quoting radioheid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)