Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Am SOOOOOOO.........................

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:52 AM
  • 14 Replies

...proud of my 14-year old niece, Karry! She was selected for an invitation-only competitive travelling soccer team! She has been playing soccer since she was 6. This year, she was invited to play for Team Metro, an invitation-only indoor soccer team. A couple of days ago, Metro invited her to play for their outdoor traveling soccer team this summer. I'm so happy! Soccer just might prove to be her ticket through college.

I just had to share. I've been very involved in her life since the day she was born. We all live together---my husband and I, my older sister and her 4 daughters. I haven't missed one of her soccer games in two years. Her mom and my parents used to joke that we were going to appear on the Maury show and they were going to come out with that orange envelope and say "AMY, YOU ARE *NOT* THE MOTHER. HEIDI...YOU *ARE* THE MOTHER!" LOL

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstkn.identity
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:15 AM
How freaking exciting. That is absolutley amazing.

I miss my soccer days :-( Playing with broken bones because i was the only goaly on the team and we were undefeated.

She sounds like one damn good player.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:18 AM
Lol go her! That's exciting. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3xangel
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:21 AM
That's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm having soccer withdrawl. She has missed her last two games. Her mom made her miss one for a church event, and she missed her last game because she had a cast on her foot and ankle. Fortunately, no bones were broken, but there was severe bruising and she was walking with a limp for several days. (They practiced with the boys team, and one of them missed the ball and kicked her in the ankle).

She's a little apprehensive, but still excited to have been picked for the Metro traveling team. She has played on a lot of crappy teams where she was the standalone star, and now she'll be playing on a team full of stars where she'll have to work twice as hard to be noticed.

Quoting mstkn.identity:

I miss my soccer days :-( Playing with broken bones because i was the only goaly on the team and we were undefeated.

"Roger that. Over."

mstkn.identity
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM
Im so happy and excited for her. What an amazing oppurtunity.

Boys are a little rougher. I always played coed. Hated all girl teams. Lol
I was always the only girl on my team.

Im glad she didnt have any broke bones. My cousin use to play soccer in Germany and said its way rougher then American soccer.

You will have to keep us updated.

Quoting radioheid:

I'm having soccer withdrawl. She has missed her last two games. Her mom made her miss one for a church event, and she missed her last game because she had a cast on her foot and ankle. Fortunately, no bones were broken, but there was severe bruising and she was walking with a limp for several days. (They practiced with the boys team, and one of them missed the ball and kicked her in the ankle).

She's a little apprehensive, but still excited to have been picked for the Metro traveling team. She has played on a lot of crappy teams where she was the standalone star, and now she'll be playing on a team full of stars where she'll have to work twice as hard to be noticed.

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:38 AM

She's a center, by the way. Boy can she sneak up on people and do foot tricks.

"Roger that. Over."

LCG83
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:41 AM
Congrats to her. That is awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this

She played on a co-ed team when she was younger, but for the past 6 years or so, they have been divided by gender.

I played baseball and softball when I was younger. I hated playing girls softball. The competition was shitty. I held the title for batting average (.809) until the league folded a few years ago, and I stopped playing when I was 15 in 1998.

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Im glad she didnt have any broke bones. My cousin use to play soccer in Germany and said its way rougher then American soccer.

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting mstkn.identity:

"Roger that. Over."

mstkn.identity
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:49 AM
I refused to play softball. I hated that girls couldnt play baseball with the guys. Of course i was the girl that wanted to play football. To me girls sports are less competative and cared about.

Quoting radioheid:

She played on a co-ed team when she was younger, but for the past 6 years or so, they have been divided by gender.

I played baseball and softball when I was younger. I hated playing girls softball. The competition was shitty. I held the title for batting average (.809) until the league folded a few years ago, and I stopped playing when I was 15 in 1998.

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM

My dad would hear nothing of me playing football, boxing or wrestling (all things I asked about). I played basketball for a few years, but at 5'1" the last year I played (7th grade, age 13) I simply had too big of a handicap to overcome. I also ran track and cross-country for a while, but by age 16, I had quit sports entirely, both high school and recreational league. I regret that, and I wish my parents would have encouraged me to continue playing.

Quoting mstkn.identity:

I refused to play softball. I hated that girls couldnt play baseball with the guys. Of course i was the girl that wanted to play football. To me girls sports are less competative and cared about.

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting mstkn.identity:

"Roger that. Over."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)