Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

crafty people!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM
  • 5 Replies
so I just re did my kitchen and I have a canister set that doesn't match anymore.. can I paint it ? I think it's just ceramic so would spray paint cover it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
alwayskk
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I don't know if ceramic would keep paint without being set in a kiln, but I've never tried to paint ceramic that was already finished. BUMP

sky375
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Yes you can spray paint or paint ceramic. If it has a shiny glaze in it you may need to sand paper it to get the new paint to stick.
Post pics!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mdraper
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM
it's shiny so I guess I need to sand it.. after that I can use just regular spray paint tho ? it doesn't have to be a special kind right ?

Quoting sky375:

Yes you can spray paint or paint ceramic. If it has a shiny glaze in it you may need to sand paper it to get the new paint to stick.

Post pics!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sky375
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you need a special kind. The cheap stuff works for me.
Be prepared to sand a lot. That glaze is hard. Get a tough grit sand paper to start then a fine one to smooth it out.
Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Take a visit to a craft store or home improvment store and look for something that will deglaze the ceramic or look for a primer that will grip onto the glossy finish. You can use cheaper paint, but if the gloss isn't knocked down, the paint won't stick and you'll end up with chips and peeling sections.

Join us in the Craft Cafe

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)