Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Exactly Are "Carbs?"

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM
  • 30 Replies

Poll

Question: What are "Carbs?"

Options:

I have no idea, I just know they're bad

Carbs are grains, duh, everyone knows that

Carbs are any foods that contain starches our bodies can turn into glucose and other sugars

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

Some of the responses to the post about high protein, low carb food plans got me thinking and I'm curious.

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Piskie
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Carbohydrate.... Diabetic so yea I need em. So does pretty much everyone.

just.dont.care
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
The whole low carb or no carb diet baffles me... Your body needs carbs to give you that energy to run your butt on the treadmill everyday...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3earthangels
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaiahsmomma86
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Hubby is diabetic. I know all about carbs. lol 

eema.gray
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

The only carbohydrates I limit are grain carbohydrates.  Unless they're properly prepared (soaked before grinding, prepared by fermentation) they don't provide as much nutrition as they could.  But when I see people saying "I don't eat carbs, just lots of fruit and veggies" it makes me really wonder

Quoting just.dont.care:

The whole low carb or no carb diet baffles me... Your body needs carbs to give you that energy to run your butt on the treadmill everyday...

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

TrouserMouse
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM
To make it even simpler, "any edible substance that cannot be categorized as fat or protein". That is a LOT of stuff that we shove in our faces.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
just.dont.care
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM
What about stuff like lettuce?

Quoting TrouserMouse:

To make it even simpler, "any edible substance that cannot be categorized as fat or protein". That is a LOT of stuff that we shove in our faces.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
just.dont.care
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Yup cuz the simple sugars loaded in fruit is so much better for you than complex carbs... Totally agree with you...

Quoting eema.gray:

The only carbohydrates I limit are grain carbohydrates.  Unless they're properly prepared (soaked before grinding, prepared by fermentation) they don't provide as much nutrition as they could.  But when I see people saying "I don't eat carbs, just lots of fruit and veggies" it makes me really wonder

Quoting just.dont.care:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelleJenWaffulz
Not true. When I was doing atkins I had more energy than when I ate carbs. it was because my metabolism was kicking into high gear and burning my stored fat for energy instead of the carbs. I had to stop it for financial reasons at the time, but I'm preparing to go back on it again

Quoting just.dont.care:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
It's a Carb that is very fibrous. So, we don't actually digest the majority of it.

Quoting just.dont.care:

What about stuff like lettuce?

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)