Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

aspirin allergy? Dh and the hospital trip...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM
  • 29 Replies

DH called me Friday to come to quickcare. I thought maybe he had another bad asthma attack and rushed over, didnt even ask him what was wrong. I walk in and the nurse took me back. Dhs face was swollen and red and his eyes were bloodshot. They had him on oxygen, an IV and a heart monitor. His O2 was 84, when he arrived it was like 72. The nurse said "we are having him transported to (hospital) via ambulance because we have done all we can do here. We think he had an allergic reaction but we dont know for sure" I sat down and she said "he needs to go by ambulance because we cant legally release him on oxygen"

So the EMTs arrived and were asking him questions "where do you work" he maneges an auto parts store, "did you handle any new chemicals" "what have you had to eat or drink" DH said "a glass of tea when I took a BC powder for my tooth" I said "whoa, a BC powder? Didnt you have a simiar reaction over the summer when you took a Goody powder for your head" Dh said "wow you know I did" 

Fast forward to the ER I get there and they had to give him an epi shot in the ambulance, his throat started closing up :o( Thank goodness we didnt risk me driving him.

Anyway after all was said and done the doctors kept him overnight for observation but are 99% sure he is allergic to aspirin. The last time he took it, was nothing like this and of course he didnt think anything of it and put 2 and 2 together.

The dismissing dr told him to follow up with his physician and have them refer him to an allergist.

We have had temporary health insurance since December, Dh switched jobs and COBRA was outrageous. Our new insurance starts tomorrow lol I guess we'll see how good that temporary insurance is!!

Anyway anyone ever heard of an aspirin allergy or have one? I cant believe how much stuff actually contains aspirin!!  

wife to Ron and proud 

momma to 4 kiddos b(15) b(9) & my twins b/g(6) bonus kids: b(14) g(9)

http://www.truthforsophia.com/ 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
just.dont.care
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I have an allergy to NSAIDs.... Like Motrin... And dh is allergic to Tylenol

I hope your dh will be ok... I'd have them check for other things as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReidsNana
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Goodness momma, how scary. Don't have any allergies to aspirin, nor have I heard of it. Just glad your dh is okay now. Maybe Google it? Good luck with the new insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms2NTwins
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Yea I went search crazy and found a HUGE list of meds that contain aspirin...I had no idea pepto contained aspirin

Im a bit upset about our new insurance my kids pedi. doesnt take it :'o(

Quoting ReidsNana:

Goodness momma, how scary. Don't have any allergies to aspirin, nor have I heard of it. Just glad your dh is okay now. Maybe Google it? Good luck with the new insurance.

wife to Ron and proud 

blessed107
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Scary,glad he's doing better.

kiddycat73
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM
I'm allergic to aspirin! My parents found out the hard way when they gave me a baby aspirin when I was 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms2NTwins
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM

yea the dr said he needed to have thorough testing. Allergies are scary. the dr said they can start off mild, then worsen and then suddenly just stop breathing the next time

Quoting just.dont.care:

I have an allergy to NSAIDs.... Like Motrin... And dh is allergic to Tylenol

I hope your dh will be ok... I'd have them check for other things as well.

wife to Ron and proud 

princessputter
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I am allergic to asprin.. and neproxin... I am glad your hubby is ok... get an epi pen for the house... ASAP...

onefootcutiepie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I'm allergic to aspirin......

PestPatti
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

You mean they dont participate with that insurance.     Depending on what type it is, you may need to see if they have "out of network" coverage.

Quoting Moms2NTwins:

Yea I went search crazy and found a HUGE list of meds that contain aspirin...I had no idea pepto contained aspirin

Im a bit upset about our new insurance my kids pedi. doesnt take it :'o(

Quoting ReidsNana:

KickButtMama
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM
It's real common. And allergies build. It takes, usually, repeated exposure to get to anaphylaxis. GL!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)