Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decorating ladies Please help!!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 3 Replies

I'm in the process of decorating my house. Nothing extreme this is just the house we are renting but I'm starting to buy new things here and there and we recently bought brand new furniture throughout the house. My questing is, Do I keep the same "style" through out the house or does it vary room to room? In my living room and bathroom I have a lot of browns, bronzes, leather couch, dark frames and some deep red. Do I keep this theme in my kitchen? I don't like the idea of such a dark kitchen but I don't want it to look weird having browns in one room and yellow and red in another? I'm new at this lol. Advice?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
twinsies041
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM

bump!

quiltingmom77
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

How you choose colors in your house is entirely up to you. I try to have a flow from room to room, but tend to mix and match styles and colors.

Ypou said you have a lot of darker colors in your living room and bathroom. Are those rooms connected to your kitchen? In other words if you are standing in your kitchen, do you have a clear view of the other rooms?

Depending on your style you could do like a mediterranean style in your kitchen, which has a lot of earthy tones, browns, tans, red, green, etc. With the darker colors you could accent, say have darker cabinets, or just an accent wall. ( Paint the room, if you are ok to do that, the color you want for example a nice darker yellow, tan almost like a lighter clay color and then accent one wall or part of a wall with a darker colored red). In my kitchen ( which is dark by nature) I have white walls above the chair rail and a dark  olive green underneath the rail. Above my cabintes I painted a trim board a very dark chianti red. My cabinets are like a honey oak color. so everything blends nicely, but it isn't overpowering. Still working on counter top, backsplash and floor choices. I have an idea of what I want, but need to save a bit more money to get it done...lol.

Decorating is like cooking, start small and add to it. Once you find a color or one item that you really like, built from that. Find what inspires you and run with it. It doesn't have to be matchy matchy..it is your house and your kitchen/ Your can find some really nice accessories and decorations just about anywhere.

Good luck and post some pictures when you are done :d

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Its purely a choice thing. My colors are not the same but flow from room to room. My front room where you come in  is 3 deep yellow walls with 1 federal blue. The next room the kitchen is white bead board with blue, white, tan wallpaper that also runs down the hallway. My bath is periwinkle blue with sometan & yellow in the valance & shower curtain. My living room is a deep tan with dark red leather furniture and the valances are the same red & tan check. All the photos on the walls are Black. All my tables are black. so my colors flow but are not the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)