Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM
  • 23 Replies

In philosophy, realism is the belief that there is an absolute existence and that even if we cannot observe existence, it remains. So, for example, if a tree falls in the woods, a realist would say that we know the tree makes a sound because they make the same sound when they fall in front of us.

Anti-realism is the idea that reality only exists when the mind enters into it. There is no absolute or objective reality and that, for example, the universe only exists at the point at which we can conceive of it. To use the same example as above, the anti-realist would say that we have no way of knowing whether or not the tree made a sound when it fell, or that it fell in the first place.

Are you a realist or an anti-realist?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAmour
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
I'm a realist, most definitely!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I'm a realist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SophistiSlut

Realist. It's just easier. I don't like having too many questions in my life, lol

reese1206
Realist
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
couponluv72

I have to admit I had a very long night and as I try to read this I hear the Peanuts teacher voice in my head WAH WAH WAH WAH

klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I am a realist or don't careist. Lol

ErikaRobin
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I believe I'm a realist.

Where does technology fit into this equation, KK?  If there's a video cam set up in the woods...

alwayskk
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Quoting couponluv72:

I have to admit I had a very long night and as I try to read this I hear the Peanuts teacher voice in my head WAH WAH WAH WAH

LOL I tried to make it simple. LOL But I haven't had much coffee yet either.

gavs4boys
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I'm def. a realist, we have common sense LOL just kidding no need to jump on me if you aren't a reaist.

couponluv72
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Quoting alwayskk:

Quoting couponluv72:

LOL I tried to make it simple. LOL But I haven't had much coffee yet either.

today is one of those, give me a good ripe PA or abortion fight and I am all over it. You don't have to THINK for those discussions! HA

***before you jump down my throat be very certain of the tone and intent you believe is coming from my posts because if you are just trolling me you can go screw yourself. I am done apologizing for people who have no reading comprehension skills and instead insert their own assumed intent and meaning in to my words. ***

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)