Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 year old girl escapes a would-be kidnapping in Wal-Mart, caught on camera!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 8 Replies

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/02/caught-on-tape-girl-fights-off-wal-mart-kidnapper/

I cried when I watched this video. My DD is 7, and I can't imagine what she would have done. I'm not even sure if she would have been able to to get away. 

I don't get one thing, though. It says that the mom had left her in the toy isle to go and get some fruit. Every Wal-Mart that I have ever been in the toy isle is on the opposite side of the store as the grocery isle. Why would you leave a 7 year old alone across the store? 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
alwayskk
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

In the video, you can see the store is the kind where the toy isle and produce section are on opposite sides of the store. Maybe she thought her 7 YO was old enough to be alone for a few minutes. I wouldn't have taken the chance. But how scary.

TatorsMommy2205
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I am thinking that, maybe they live in a really small town and there weren't a lot of people in the store that day. My DD7 won't leave my side while we're shopping. She doesn't even like it if I walk to the end of the same isle that she is on. Usually it's annoying because she's right up underneath me, but I'd rather have her stepping on my toes than something like this happening

Quoting alwayskk:

In the video, you can see the store is the kind where the toy isle and produce section are on opposite sides of the store. Maybe she thought her 7 YO was old enough to be alone for a few minutes. I wouldn't have taken the chance. But how scary.

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM

i love how they say she stepped a few isles over. ummm. no she was on the other side of the store. if she'd been a couple isles over she'd have heard her child screaming and come running. the food is on the other side of the store from the toys at all 3 walmarts i live close to. even at my mom's walmart a state over it's that way.

i read through comments on the news page and can't believe ppl are saying we are keeping our kids in a bubble. the fact that this man had the opportunity to grab this child is proof that you should watch your children.

we will be at the store and looking at toys. i'm not standing over my kids shoulder but we are in the same row where i can see them. and they know if someone were to try to grab them to hit, kick, scream, bite, do whatever they have to, to get away.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

i cried :( seeing her wipe tears from her face. 

jella31
by Angela on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM
How did he even think he would get her out??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TatorsMommy2205
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM

It looks like the Wal-Mart is set up like one of the ones near me, and the the toys are reight next to the garden center in the same direction that he ran when he jetted. I bet he was gonna try to run out with her through the garden center, and he didn't expect her to scream and kick as violently as she did. 

Quoting jella31:

How did he even think he would get her out??

cnm5381no2
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM
So sad. At least she fought back. That's what I teach my kids to do if ever in an abduction situation, scream, kick, thrash, bite, do whatever you are physically able to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Thank gawd she got away and wal-mart has security cameras to catch those sick bastards when something like this does happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)