Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade laundry detergent

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM
  • 15 Replies
I want to try making homemade laundry detergent to save money. Anyone have a good "recipe". And is powder or liquid better?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YettaR
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjsMom0508
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I prefer the powder.  I used to make the liquid.  The last two times I've made it I did the powder and I like it SO much better.  I use 1 bar of Zote soap, 2 cups of washing soda and 2 cups of borax.  You can also used Ivory or FelsNaptha soap but if you do reduce the washing soda and borax to 1 cup each since the bars of soap are smaller.  Grate the soap using a cheese grater or run it through a food processor.  I run mine through my food processor because it is a heck of a lot faster.  I then put all the stuff into my blender and blend it together to make a fine powder.  You may have to separate into batches to fit it all into the blender.  If you do just make sure to mix it all up good when you put it in your storage container.  Use 1 TBS per load.  Don't worry if you don't have a lot of suds.  It's a low sudsing detergent.

tarinah
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

i do the same as the pp

butlerro1013
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I like the liquid.  Here's the recipe I use:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

And I use Fels Naptha soap in this recipe for the bar soap.

Mrs.BAT
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM

This is where I got my recipes. I use #4 (powdered) now that I've tried a couple.

Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM
How big of a container do I need? This seems much faster than making the liquid.

Quoting AjsMom0508:

I prefer the powder.  I used to make the liquid.  The last two times I've made it I did the powder and I like it SO much better.  I use 1 bar of Zote soap, 2 cups of washing soda and 2 cups of borax.  You can also used Ivory or FelsNaptha soap but if you do reduce the washing soda and borax to 1 cup each since the bars of soap are smaller.  Grate the soap using a cheese grater or run it through a food processor.  I run mine through my food processor because it is a heck of a lot faster.  I then put all the stuff into my blender and blend it together to make a fine powder.  You may have to separate into batches to fit it all into the blender.  If you do just make sure to mix it all up good when you put it in your storage container.  Use 1 TBS per load.  Don't worry if you don't have a lot of suds.  It's a low sudsing detergent.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjsMom0508
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Not anything super huge (a 4-6 cup canister would be sufficient).  I have a ceramic jar that I keep mine in on top of my dryer.  It holds like 8 cups or something like that and I don't fill it.

Quoting Texasgal99:

How big of a container do I need? This seems much faster than making the liquid.

Quoting AjsMom0508:

wodntulk2kno1
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM
zote is the nest to make it with you can also just add it with regular detergent to brighten your whites the pink one works best! it also helps with acne its the mexican pro active! I just shave off pieces for my daughter to was her face with and her face is clear after using all the expensive brands!

Quoting AjsMom0508:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Great! Just made my first batch! I'll have to blend it in my food processor though bc it almost blew out the motor in the blender, even doing small batches.

Quoting AjsMom0508:

Not anything super huge (a 4-6 cup canister would be sufficient).  I have a ceramic jar that I keep mine in on top of my dryer.  It holds like 8 cups or something like that and I don't fill it.

Quoting Texasgal99:

Quoting AjsMom0508:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Texasgal99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
I'll have to see if I can find zote here. I need it for my face too. I made it with fels naptha.

Quoting wodntulk2kno1:

zote is the nest to make it with you can also just add it with regular detergent to brighten your whites the pink one works best! it also helps with acne its the mexican pro active! I just shave off pieces for my daughter to was her face with and her face is clear after using all the expensive brands!

Quoting AjsMom0508:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)