Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The time for "The Talk" has come.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
  • 8 Replies
SO and I decided that we're having "the talk" with our 11yo tonight. I was looking at the browser history and he was trying to look up sex stuff on YouTube this morning (lol).

So, any suggestions from those who have been there? We've always been honest with the boys when they've had questions (age appropriate of course) but we haven't felt the need to go into detail until today. SO said there's a video about STD's that he wants to show him but I don't want to terrify the poor kid lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM
My mom always had an on going talk with us about things each year giving me more information. I would just be honest about it all answer all questions he has but don't be all weird about it that will make him close off and not want to talk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesAndNicksMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM
My mom had me watch some cartoon that explained it all so I thought about trying to find it online :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleJ1000
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I only have girls but I talked to them about sex all the time. They got more information as they got older. It was hard to do with the oldest, but I believe education is knowledge and knowledge equals power. Our kids are learning about sex as early as elementary school.

I taught them all the proper terms as well as slang terms for body parts, about std's, and that sex is supposed to be a special thing and not something that is done just to do it.

Good luck and try to keep your shock hidden while answering questions. My middle one has asked me some real doozies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aichia
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Uhm, we just had the talk a few yrs ago with ss. The biggest things we stressed was for him to never feel ashamed to ask questions always, not to believe the locker room exaggerations, & to wait until he is in love with a girl before thinking of having sex.
I just wrote a satistics report on teens & sex. It's scary to think about how many teen pregnancies there are & the spread of stds, the cdc & kiaser medical has lots of numbers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM

heck even my 4 yr old knows "the baby swims around your belly and then comes out of your tushey!"  i forgot I had mentioned it to her before!  LOL

imafuswb
by ★Rainbow Brite★ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:09 AM

We've been talking with the boys about it ever since they were born, practically.  Obviously, they don't understand everything (or even much at all, in the 2 year old's case), but we read age appropriate books on the topic with them, and answer any questions they have.  As they get older, we'll continue to expand on the topic.  I would much rather have them learn the proper information from us as they grow than have them come home from school with half-correct and misinformed ideas about everything because they've only ever heard about sex from their peers.

If you need any book suggestions, let me know.  Although he is probably a little older than the age most of our books are aimed at.  But they are specific and detailed.  They don't beat around the bush.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I started the talk with  my kids when they were 5 & 6, as soon as they started asking questions about where babies come from.

I just explained matter of factly, the physical process of the egg, sperm, embryo, fetus, and birth.  The birth canal part was very popular as  you can imagine.   LOL

ishmay28
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Just remember that whatever you do....tell him the girls he sees or saw online are not what all women look like lol. Dh just had to do this with ss. He was looking up "nekkid" girls smdh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)