Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marijuana smoke harms cells and dna more than tobacco smoke does.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 113 Replies
6 moms liked this

BOSTON: Marijuana smoke harms cells and DNA more than tobacco smoke does, while tobacco causes more intensive damage to chromosome structure, new research reports.

The study highlights the risks of marijuana, which are not as well known as those from smoking tobacco, said the authors, led by Rebecca Maertens a scientist with Canadian government research body Health Canada in Ottawa, Ontario. Their work is published in the August issue of the journal Chemical Research in Toxicology.

Genetic damage

“It is clear that this information does not support the misconception popular among youth that marijuana is safer than cigarettes,” said Gary Holub a spokesperson for Health Canada.

Like tobacco, marijuana has been associated with respiratory problems such as chronic bronchitis. But neither marijuana plant extracts nor THC, the main psychoactive component of marijuana, have been definitively linked to lung cancer.

Establishing the exact risks of smoking marijuana has been difficult, the experts said, because most study subjects have also smoked tobacco.

The new study exposed bacterial and animal cells in the laboratory to smoke condensates, which are mixtures produced by dissolving filtered smoke particles. The mixtures were prepared in two different ways, one representing damage from smoking directly, the other from passive smoking.

Cell death

The researchers found that marijuana smoke caused different types of genetic damage than tobacco smoke. Marijuana condensates were more likely to kill the cells or cause DNA damage. In contrast, tobacco condensates were more likely to change the structure of chromosomes within the cells.

Maertens’ team is continuing their cellular studies to determine the underlying reasons for these different responses. “Such work will help us better understand the potential health hazards of marijuana smoke exposure,” Holub said.

Wayne Hall, a public health professor and cannabis expert at the University of Queensland, in Australia, said the study confirms earlier evidence that marijuana smoke can produce mutations in genetic material.

However, the researchers did not show if those mutations are cancer causing, he said. “They do not enable us to estimate the magnitude of the risk.”

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2926/marijuana-smoke-more-damaging-thought

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.---- Albert Einsteien

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM
4 moms liked this

But weed is from the 'erf' and that means it's good for you...

JLo1486
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Here we go... Sounds like they haven't actually found anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-HoneyLuv
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
LMFAO!! I'll pass thanks :)

Quoting IhartU:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
love_1120
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
McDonaldlnc
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Interesting! Thanks for posting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
10 moms liked this
So basically they did a study that may or may not point to some threatening or non-threatening problems?

Good to know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aangelmommie03
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Interesting! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

LMFAO!! I'll pass thanks :)

Quoting IhartU:

This is what I hear over and over from pro-weed people. lol. Yep. Like every single thing that grows on the earth is good for you.

M3Love
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Another fluff article. No real facts, only speculation.

delilahsmom1177
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

This is what happens when people to studies with bacteria cells and animal cells. It shows NOTHING. Also marijuana use causes chorinic broncitis. LOL I have smoked for 10 years of my life and I am fine. Haven't been to the Dr. in IDK how long. Not even the slightest cough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)