Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nurses.. UPDATE NURSES..I have a question..because Im so lost!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 63 Replies
1 mom liked this

anyone a nurse out there?? RN or LVN

Im a medical assistant and have been for 11yrs. Im aslo a licensed phlebotomist. I have always wanted to be a nurse, but just never started any classes. well here I am today 31yrs old and 11 yrs medical experience and starting to enroll in my pre reqs. and now that Im all "GUN HO" about going back to school, Im so frustrated! Im on waiting lists for classes(just pre reqs) and if I dont get in now (spring 12) I have to wait till winter of 2012.....

and then I keep thinking "am I too old" but when I get talking to people who are nurses some of them say they went back to nursing school in their 30's and some even 40's ....

anyone out there who are nurses want to share their story?? I need encouragement!!!

question because Im totally LOST...

what is the difference between ADN and a BSN? both are RN's BSN takes 4 years and ADN takes 2....I dont know what classes to take Im struggling I need it all written out in a list!

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
I_love_my_girls
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM
I'm an RN, I got my license out of a community college at 24, pregnant with our first, now I'm 30, and I graduate this fall with my BSN. It is never, ever too late. The wait list is pretty brutal, but worth the time in the end.

Tannaris
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I'm not a nurse yet ... I plan to become one in the future though. When my youngest is in school full time. I will be almost 40. You're never to old for school IMO. GOOD LUCK!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3earthangels
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I am a LPN, have been since '06. I was 22 going through the 1 year program as a single mom with 2 of my kids plus custody of my niece and nephew, and on complete welfare support. I did it on my own with no support from family, they told me I couldn't do it.

I am going back for my BSN because my ultimate goal it to work in federal corrections. Right now I work as a weekend Alzheimer's unit charge nurse, prn state corrections nurse, and twice monthly as a HIV/AIDS pre and post test counselor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngelNCO
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I am 36 and just graduated nursing school in May.  I have 3 boys, 19, 9, and 7. I lived 2 hours away from school.  When my youngest was 4 he rode with me everyday to school.  This is why he is such a good counter, lol, he would always ask how long before we get there... and we would count!  Anyway, I woke up and 4am everyday and would get myself ready, then wake up my youngest and get him ready to make the 2 hour drive everyday, he went to daycare where I went to school.  I wouldn't get home until 6pm, loooong days!  My husband was awesome, he would usually have dinner ready and did most the housework.  After dinner I hit the books.  I lived, breathed, dreamed, slept, nursing school.  It was hard, if you're gonna do it be sure you have support.  They tell you the first day, "you will have no life until you're done, if you have someone to watch your kids, let them.  If you have someone who wants to clean your house, let them."  I thought, yeah right... haha, they couldn't have been more right.  Just make sure you're ready to devote your life to just that over the course of school.  Not trying to scare you... just letting you know what the reality of it is.  The best part was that I really wanted it... I graduated with high-honors.  I never did that great in school before.  When you're done, it is the most rewarding feeling.  EVERYTHING MY FAMILY AND I WENT THROUGH WAS SOOOOO WORTH IT!!!! I found a job right away.  Good luck mama!  If I can do it, anyone can!!!!!  You're definately not too old!

sissyboogs
by Katie on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Are you trying to be an RN or an LPN? If you're okay with being an LPN, you can go to a technical school and have a good chance of getting in more quickly. I'm 25, I just graduated June '11 and got my practical nursing license in August '11. One of the girls in my class was in her 50's. Never too old! 

Good luck! 

sissyboogs
by Katie on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I also want to add that I started school when my daughter was 3 weeks old and my son had just turned 2. I graduated right after he turned 3 and a week before she turned 1. So...don't let obstacles stand in your way. It was hard, but worth it. 

Quoting sissyboogs:

Are you trying to be an RN or an LPN? If you're okay with being an LPN, you can go to a technical school and have a good chance of getting in more quickly. I'm 25, I just graduated June '11 and got my practical nursing license in August '11. One of the girls in my class was in her 50's. Never too old! 

Good luck! 

etsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Where do you live?  There is at least a 5 year waiting list here.  WA state.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM
I'm an RN. It was a lot of work, but worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I'm an RN. I was an LPN and went back to school to finish a bridge program to RN. You can do it at any age! My class was very diverse ! We had young and old and from all around the world. And 31 years old is not old at all!! Go for it. The time goes by so quickly because all you do is study and it makes for time flying by. Before you know it, you are on stage getting your diploma:)

Due9
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Congratulations!!

Quoting 3earthangels:

I am a LPN, have been since '06. I was 22 going through the 1 year program as a single mom with 2 of my kids plus custody of my niece and nephew, and on complete welfare support. I did it on my own with no support from family, they told me I couldn't do it.

I am going back for my BSN because my ultimate goal it to work in federal corrections. Right now I work as a weekend Alzheimer's unit charge nurse, prn state corrections nurse, and twice monthly as a HIV/AIDS pre and post test counselor.

First time mom of a beautiful new baby girl !big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)