Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this strange to you? (christening question)

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM
  • 21 Replies

So my cousin and his wife are expecting their first baby in April, and she has already booked the babies christening. I didn't know if this is common practice? With my kids I did it after they were born, it just seemed odd to me to book it before the baby is even here. I know it's their baby and they can do whatever they want, but I was just curious how other Moms did it? 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

We're Italian Catholics, we do this as well....The baby is Christened as soon as possible in most cases.

Cassidysmom611
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Oh wow, I didn't know that. It just seemed odd- we haven't even gotten to the baby shower yet lol. The baby is due in April and the Christening will be at the end of June. Thank you for sharing, I appreciate it.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

We're Italian Catholics, we do this as well....The baby is Christened as soon as possible in most cases.

Kristen1010
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM
I'm Catholic and I booked the dates of our children's baptism while I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Catholics tend to yes. Its customary to do it within a certain time frame from birth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I would say it depends on how busy the church is.  They may need to set it up earlier.  To me, it would be one less thing to worry about doing after the baby is born, since they'll have so many changes they'll be going through already.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

thepulch
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think christenings are weird.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Me too.

Quoting Kristen1010:

I'm Catholic and I booked the dates of our children's baptism while I was pregnant.

kiddycat73
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Me too. Our church is booked at least 3-4 months out, and I didn't want them being that old when they were baptized.

Quoting Kristen1010:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassidysmom611
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Okay so based on everyones responses I must be the odd one lol. I schedule mine after they were born but with in the first 2 months. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

Jperry86
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM
I booked my son's (due wednesday) 4 months ago. Also Catholic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)