Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby in pain. Need help. Don't know what else to do.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay I need help. Last Tuesday I took our 11 month old dd to her pedi because I knew she had a ear infection by the way she was acting and I was right. But the pedi said we caught it early. Anyways her gave her a antibiotic to give her three times a day for 10 days. But I swear the medicine is not working. She is in a even worse mood then she was before. She has taken the medicine for 6 days now and she doesn't seem to be getting any better and she is still pulling at her ears. I am about to pull my hair out because I am so stressed because our dd cries constantly and no matter what I do matters. The only time she is quiet is when she is asleep and she hasn't been asleep but for 15 minutes today because our almost three year old screams for enjoyment and to torture me I swear and keeps waking her up. I wouldn't mind the screaming and yelling but my dh is trying to sleep in the next room because he works the night shift and if he doesn't get enough sleep he blames it on me and is a pain in my ass for the rest of the day. So you can see where I am at a loss of what to do. The dr office doesn't open till tomorrow and I am afraid if I take her to the ER they will just tell me to keep giving her the same medicine that she is taking so it would be a waste of my time. Any ideas of what to do?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soon2bemomof307
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Similican. It's drops you put in their ears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
couponluv72
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM

You could call your local pharmacist and ask which over the counter pain medicine would be appropriate for her. he or she might even have some advice that might help too

Aamy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Giver her Tylenol and Advil ??? Pain relievers ......

WardosWifey
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

The antibiotic is NOT a pain killer also so you need to also be giving her a pain med like Motrin or Tylenol.  Good luck.

Mrs.VanDeKamp
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM

you can get numbing ear drops over the counter at the pharmacist, and that will help with the pain, then i would take her back in, and have her ears looked at. has she been on antibiotics before? did they work? is this her first ear infection?

jenandpetersmom
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Is there an emergency number to call? Maybe she needs different meds. Hope she gets better fast!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pmcs
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Antibiotics only work on specific bacteria, not all bacteria. She needs a different antibiotic. I would take her to a clinic or ER. Ear infections can be caused by more than one type of bacteria. Give her Tylenol and or ibuprofen for pain. The pharmacist can tell you how much.

Countrygerl
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I have been giving her Advil all day but it doesn't seem to do any good with the pain. She has had several ear infection atleast seven if not more. And she has been put on several different antibiotics and they did work but the ear infection always came back. Ear infections run in my family. Myself and our older dd had them so often and bad that we had to have tubes put in our ears. And the pedi said that he would have to do the same with our 11 month old dd if she kept getting ear infections but hoped we could make it through winter and it would stop. But so far I think she will need them.

Quoting Mrs.VanDeKamp:

you can get numbing ear drops over the counter at the pharmacist, and that will help with the pain, then i would take her back in, and have her ears looked at. has she been on antibiotics before? did they work? is this her first ear infection?

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

What did he give her? My DS had an ear infection around that age, and he was prescribed Amoxicillin. I don't remember having to give it 3 times a day though..

cjsix
by faith on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Quoting soon2bemomof307:

Similican. It's drops you put in their ears.

These are a WONDER...I have kids who when little did repeated ear infections and after many years of none two of them in the last year have had their ear hurt...(they are both teens) and I bought these and each time they said it stopped the pain almost right away!

Peroxide will also help bubble the infection out and garlic oil(just get the capsules by the vitamins and poke a pinhole in and squeeze into the ear) will feel soothing and since garlic is a natural antibiotic it will help that way too.

I am sorry she is hurting so much...as I said we have dealt with many ear infection over the years...I have a couple who did back to back for a long time...before I knew about the peroxide and garlic oil. I have tried them and they really did help.

huggingHugs Momma,you're doing a good job! Maybe the 3 year old can be asked to do "something special" for Daddy or the baby? I'll say a prayer that it helps the screaming...I know how frustrating that is too...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)