Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Kind Of Hope He Did Claim It

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 12 Replies

In 2009 I allowed my ex to claim our son on taxes. I signed a form stating I would not claim him for that year.

Well when my ex was doing his taxes he told me he might get the EIC credit for our son, but he wasn't sure. I don't remember if he got it or not.

I took my taxes to H&R Block for a second look. I found out I can still get the EIC credit for my son for 2009, and that my ex would not have been allowed to get it.

I thought it sounded weird, but I was going through some paperwork, and a form I have from the IRS states specifically that in order to get the EIC, the child must have lived with you for more than half the year.

My son did not live with him that year, nor did my ex pay CS for over half the year, or even have visitation with my son. He saw him maybe 5 times in 2009, with me present.

Like I said I don't know if he ended up getting it. He may have made too much. I asked his mother to review his tax return for another reason since he is incarcerated and she basically told me to fuck off. But part of me hopes he did claim it. Because then when I claim it the IRS is going to know he lied, and he can get in trouble.

Of course if that happens, his psychotic mother will of course go off on me..but hey..I'm not the one claiming shit I wasn't allowed to claim.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I know it sounds petty but he deserves it.

BEXi
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I remember my ex illegally claimed my oldest son. We had to file papers against him for it.

Litlmama87
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
But you signed the consent form, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Did he just get a fine or..? I know when the IRS catches you in a lie they are not too happy lol. My ex already owes a shit ton of money to the state and to me for back CS.

Quoting BEXi:

I remember my ex illegally claimed my oldest son. We had to file papers against him for it.

alotta_fagina
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM

why did you let him claim him in the first place? besides that, good luck. i hope you do get it as you're entitled to it.

BEXi
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

No idea!! He's off in Texas somewhere being a professional deadbeat.

Quoting carterscutie85:

Did he just get a fine or..? I know when the IRS catches you in a lie they are not too happy lol. My ex already owes a shit ton of money to the state and to me for back CS.

Quoting BEXi:

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I signed the consent form allowing him to claim my son. But you can still get the EIC credit even if you don't claim a child.

I know it sounds weird, my tax preparer told me that and I thought it sounded off. But then when I was reviewing my tax return for that year, I found a form from the IRS that states I can still get the EIC for my son even if I don't claim him as a dependant.

Quoting Litlmama87:

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I didn't really work too much that year, and at the time I was trying to be nice. I knew he would get back more for our son then I would, so I just let him claim him.

I made enough to get the EIC credit, but not a whole lot, as I only worked part of the year.

Quoting alotta_fagina:

why did you let him claim him in the first place? besides that, good luck. i hope you do get it as you're entitled to it.

Kelsmomma123
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Why did you let him claim him that year anyway?

Litlmama87
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM
What was the purpose of you letting him claim him back then, & what will you gain for red flagging it now?

Were you aware that when he claimed DS, he could possibly qualify for the EIC?

When he claimed DS, did you gain anything financially from him claiming your son?

Quoting carterscutie85:

I signed the consent form allowing him to claim my son. But you can still get the EIC credit even if you don't claim a child.

I know it sounds weird, my tax preparer told me that and I thought it sounded off. But then when I was reviewing my tax return for that year, I found a form from the IRS that states I can still get the EIC for my son even if I don't claim him as a dependant.

Quoting Litlmama87:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)