Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craddle cap questions

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 12 Replies
My 4 month old has it and I'm not exactly sure how to get rid of it. He has thick hair. I put baby oil in his hair and tried to brush it out with a tooth brush like I was told but I just got a handful of his hair and now it looks worse. What am I supposed to do? Any tips on how to get rid of it without hurting him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starr1089
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Use a soft baby brush.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cnm5381no2
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM
They make some medicines especially for cradle cap. Try those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrssummerlin
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Put a little tiny bit of olive oil on his scalp and softly comb it.
It will clear up over time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I had the same problem.  After soaking my little man's head with EVOO, I tried brushing it, but got as much hair as cradle cap.  I had to shave his head, soak it in EVOO, and brush it off.  It came off very easy then. 

love_1120
Let the baby (or olive oil) soak for an hour or two before trying to brush the scaly skin off. Vasoline also works well for stubborn cradle cap. The key is letting it sit to soften up the dead skin. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Love060708kids

I use olive oil, massage it into the scalp, let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, then use a soft brissle brush to loosen the scales and you could comb them out and of course wash baby's hair after worked with all four of my kiddos. 

becky.riley

leave it alone. It goes away on its own. Other than looking a little gross, it isn't hurting your baby. 

cassie19831
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM

My son had it and I talked to my pediatrician. He said to wash his hair with anti dandruff shampoo. Cleared it up pretty quickly. Just watch the baby's eyes

devinsmom42
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM
This. My son had it sooo bad and I tried everything. I wanted to pick it and brush it off but that just makes it worse. Leave it alone and it will go away lol. Oh but don't wash it if u don't have to bc I was told that will make the scalp dryer and make it worse.

Quoting becky.riley:

leave it alone. It goes away on its own. Other than looking a little gross, it isn't hurting your baby. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

not sure about what the back of the label says, but my doctor told me to use Head and Shoulders shampoo, just make sure not to get it in their eyes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)