Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not pro-choice OR pro-life.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
I posted this as a comment in another post...but just so people realize there are other views in addition to the black-and-white "Pro-Choice va Pro-Life" debate...

I look at it this way: I have had to make a very, *very* hard decision in my life. I made the wrong one according to my faith, but very much the right one for my own emotional survival.

I know I made the "wrong" choice, but I also know it was what I *had* to do. I would NOT take that choice away from someone else and I would never in a million years pretend to demand that someone choose any differently that I did. I was not strong enough to choose the way I should have. Why should I insist that others be strong where I completely failed?

Now, putting that in light of abortion, were I in no position to raise a child, I would put that child up for adoption.

However, were the pregnancy not viable or the child suffering and not going to live, I just don't know what I would do.

Being faced with a situation where I was not strong enough to do the "right" thing completely changed me and my life/world view. I would not ask someone to do something (wait for a non-viable baby to die, give birth to the product of rape, etc) that I have no idea if I would be strong enough to do myself.

Therefore, I am pro-compassion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
couponluv72
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I love how you word this. I got pregnant out of wedlock and chose adoption. I was strong enough and willing to face the lifelong pain of having made that choice. I would have hated to have been FORCED in to is. 

Apollos82
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Thank you.

I don't know you from Eve, but I am impressed with your strength. Not everyone has that ability.

Quoting couponluv72:

I love how you word this. I got pregnant out of wedlock and chose adoption. I was strong enough and willing to face the lifelong pain of having made that choice. I would have hated to have been FORCED in to is. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HouseofFeast
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I think that the pro-lifers often forget about the mother in the pregnancy equation and put the value of the fetus above that of the mother. 

There have even been women on here that have put the *ETA: POTENTIAL* life of the fetus above their own AND the lives of their already-born, existing, living and breathing children.  They do this by saying they would allow themselves to die by continuing a life-threatening pregnancy for the 1% chance the fetus survives.

Photobucket

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

couponluv72
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I willl quite honestly state that in my even younger years I had gotten pregnant and aborted in panic. so when years later I was in the same situation I knew I could not simply do the same thing, I loved my baby and was older and mature enough to see it as a baby for myself and thus choose to give my child life. Later I had no choice but had to have a 2nd trimest abortion when some very serious medical issues for me and the unborn baby came up. Life threatening for me and NO chance for my child to live outside the womb. I have also given birth to two other children. then closed the factory. I have truly experienced the whole painful gamit of situations. and have a very well rounded understanding

Quoting Apollos82:

Thank you.

I don't know you from Eve, but I am impressed with your strength. Not everyone has that ability.

Quoting couponluv72:

My happiness is me, not you. Not only because you may be temporary, But also because you want me to be What I am not. I cannot be happy when i change Merely to satisfy your selfishness. Nor can I feel content when you Criticize me for not thinking your thoughts. Or for seeing like you do. You call me a rebel. And yet each time I have rejected your beliefs, You have rebelled against mine. I do not try ot mold your mind. I know you are trying hard enough , To be just you. And I cannot allow you to tell me what to be For I am concentrating on being me. You said that I was transparent, And easily forgotten. Why then did you try to use my lifetime, to prove to yourself who YOU are? -by Michelle from a leo buscaglia book

Apollos82
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM
It is very true...value is placed on one life and not another, often to the extreme harm of the devalued life.

Having an abortion is HARD. I have not had one (my experience was quite a different thing from having an abortion) But abortion is not something someone just gets done, like a nose job. It is hard an all parties. The death of a fetus/baby, whatnot is sad, no doubt. But that sadness should not negate the needs of the mother and/or father. ALL people should be taken in to consideration.

Quoting HouseofFeast:

I think that the pro-lifers often forget about the mother in the pregnancy equation and put the value of the fetus above that of the mother. 

There have even been women on here that have put the *ETA: POTENTIAL* life of the fetus above their own AND the lives of their already-born, existing, living and breathing children.  They do this by saying they would allow themselves to die by continuing a life-threatening pregnancy for the 1% chance the fetus survives.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)