Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do we get to play against the black people?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

Yep, that's what my kid said at a bday party yesterday.  (He's nine)  I wanted to crawl under a table.  My kid is in no way prejudice. He has had all races of friends since he was in preschool and never thought they were any different.   The people in charge of the party played it well.  Saying simply "that was innappropiate and what difference would it make".  I had to pull him aside and tell him how awful it sounded.  He said he didn't realize it sounded wrong and he was sorry.

On the way home I calmly asked why he would say something like that. He said "I meant hair colored."  Instead of "boys against girls" he was thinking they could divide up by hair color.   But ugggg... that sounded horrible.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM

That did, but some kids are truely oblivious to adding one extra word to something like that!

My kids are mixed and they always say, "Black people this" or "White people this" it happens. 

You were very much in the right by talking to him about it and pulling him aside and correcting him.

mes_deux_amours
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM

My 4yo son calls people by the color of their shirts... so its no big deal when they have red, green, or blue on... but when its white or black... yeah... I have had those moments too.

yvonne37
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM

wow.. it must have been an awkward moment.. but kids say things like this and its mainly in an innocent way... my daughter (5) called a little girl "brown girl" and I nippet it in the butt by telling her in front of the girl.. "she has a name, just ask her her name we dont call people by colors, we called them by their names" and my daughter said she didint know her name, so she asked her and they started talking, I apologized with her mom, but she was actually smiling (even if she was upset) and told me that kids will say the darnest things.

after that I sat with my daughter and explained to her... I know she didnt say it in a mean way, but if its not corrected the day will come when they will use it to hurt peoples feelings.

Sweets27
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Ds has described a friend from school by skin color. I know its innocent. We just explain to him that its not nice and the friend has a name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TarotMommy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Poor lil guy didn't know he said something politically incorrect and all along he was talking about hair color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Yup DD has done the brown girl for skin color and we just explain you need to ask her name rather than identify by skin color. 

Bballallstar
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

aww poor lil' man....

Bitemebetty
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM

My DH yells at me all the time because I will say the black on and I just mean the persons hair color lol.

mom2_3blessings
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM
I wouldn't have felt awkward at all and would have asked my child right there why he said that ... It by no means is inappropriate though he didn't mean it that way therefore it's not...most kids are truly innocent when it comes to this stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by bilf on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Poor kid!  :(  Foot in mouth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)