Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms of girls older than 6, please tell me I will survive!!!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

my 6yr old dd is making me insane..she has  mouth  and attitude like I have never known. I have raised a son to adult hood, I am well aware of phases and trials, and how to raise a child to be a upstanding, productive citizen. I have 2 other small kids, 8yr old ss and dd's twin brother.....none of my boys have the mouth and attitude that she does. Last week she almost lost out on a Daddy Daughter Dance because of her behaviour. I let her go, but she was grounded for 6 days and had to do extra chores. Today she missed a birthdy party because she refused to take a shower. I took the boys and left her throwing a fit on the bed. What can I do to curb her behaviour? She can be sweet and loving but when she isnt she is pure venom

Group Owner of Religious Debate

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BV88
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM
4 moms liked this
My daughter is 6 years old also and she is acting the same way... I'm thinking about buying a dog kennel and tossing her in the basement for awhile. Good luck.

(jk calm down people... I don't even have a basement).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Have you tried asking her why she acts this way?  To me it seems like either something is going on deep down or she just does not have any respect for you.  Is she in school?  If so , does she act this way there? I would have her write the sentence" I will listen to mom(or mommy) when she tells me to do something".  She is old enough to know actions have consequences such as the not showering/missing party.

nicole6870
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Good luck! Lol. Its just a phase. As long as you stick to your punishments but don't nit pick you'll be fine. I have an 8 yr old and she is FINALLY becoming my daughter again and not the belligerent brat she's been fomr the last 2 years!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM

she is all about Daddy right now...she is homeschooled and is actually very good during school time...completes her lessons, follows instructions, asks for help when she needs it...and you just never know what will set her off, one minute she is sweet and loving, the next minute she is Queen Hagatha...I asked her why she wouldnt take a shower and she said she wanted Daddy to wash her hair because he doesnt get water in her ear...well, he was busy..so meltdown ensued and Miss Piss missed the party

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you tried asking her why she acts this way?  To me it seems like either something is going on deep down or she just does not have any respect for you.  Is she in school?  If so , does she act this way there? I would have her write the sentence" I will listen to mom(or mommy) when sheop tells me to do something".  She is old enough to know actions have consequences such as the not showering/missing party.

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Crazy Chris on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 9 and is the same way. I also have 3 boys and they are nothing like her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2four1978
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I have four daughters ages 17,16,10, and 6. My advice is to talk to her almost as you would an adult. When she is being mouthy tell her how it makes you feel and ask her if she knows why she is having an attitude. Sounds crazy but it has worked to help me keep a close relationship with my DD's while getting through all the hormonal crap. And with girls hormonal shifts can begin pretty young. And I won't lie there are times when I have to walk away and lock myself in the bathroom especially with two who have PMS at the same time. I also try to keep in mind what being a girl with crazy hormones can make me feel like and that as kids they haven't yet learned to turn on the filter that keeps it under control.

I'm not saying she shouldnt be punished for her actions, she should, but talk to her as well.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I dont know if I will survive two more years, lol

Quoting nicole6870:

Good luck! Lol. Its just a phase. As long as you stick to your punishments but don't nit pick you'll be fine. I have an 8 yr old and she is FINALLY becoming my daughter again and not the belligerent brat she's been fomr the last 2 years!

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM

wow...4 girls.....you are my hero!  Thanks for the advice!!

Quoting mom2four1978:

I have four daughters ages 17,16,10, and 6. My advice is to talk to her almost as you would an adult. When she is being mouthy tell her how it makes you feel and ask her if she knows why she is having an attitude. Sounds crazy but it has worked to help me keep a close relationship with my DD's while getting through all the hormonal crap. And with girls hormonal shifts can begin pretty young. And I won't lie there are times when I have to walk away and lock myself in the bathroom especially with two who have PMS at the same time. I also try to keep in mind what being a girl with crazy hormones can make me feel like and that as kids they haven't yet learned to turn on the filter that keeps it under control.

I'm not saying she shouldnt be punished for her actions, she should, but talk to her as well.

lovemyirish
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM
I have a 7, 6, and 3 yr old. All girls. They don't act that way a lot but when my 6 yr old does. I completely ignore.it and she will stop. Or I just send her to her room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole6870
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM
You can do it! It will take a LOT of patience though! We have good days and bad days now. But...there ARE good days! Lol. Before I just wanted to run screaming and pulling out my hair like a crazy person.

Quoting shivasgirl:

I dont know if I will survive two more years, lol

Quoting nicole6870:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)