Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax Question

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

Me and my husband were married last year so we filed joint this year for our taxes.  We were very happy with the amount that we were getting until we got a letter from the irs stating.... Your refund has been applied to a past due obligation such as child support, another federal agency debt, or state income tax. The Financial Management Service, who issues IRS refunds, will send you a notice informing you of the reduction...So now my question to you ladies is since this debt is fully on his end ( we did our research and found out it was his student loans ) I was going to fill out the injured spouse form and file it because I was the only sole worker for my family and the debt was not mine.... So do you guys know how they calculate it... Will I get my full EIC and what about the unearned part how do they calculate this since he is a stay at home dad and doesnt work and I do?...

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babygurl6162008
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

No idea.

Alexsangel07

BUMP!

lovinglife0682
1 mom liked this
If I were you I would just suck it up and have to money go towards this debt. Student loans never go away. If you want to own a home, file taxes jointly or get another loans you need that debt gone. The sooner the better.
Alexsangel07
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I'd be happy to do that but we are in need of a car we got into an accident back in october and ive been bumming rides from coworkers... otherwise Id let it be

Quoting lovinglife0682:

If I were you I would just suck it up and have to money go towards this debt. Student loans never go away. If you want to own a home, file taxes jointly or get another loans you need that debt gone. The sooner the better.

Alexsangel07
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

BUMP!

naumann24
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM
So now you wanna file injured spouse cause your return got taken? I'm pretty sure they will see scam all over that one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Quoting naumann24:

So now you wanna file injured spouse cause your return got taken? I'm pretty sure they will see scam all over that one.

Um no. It's not a scam and it's perfectly legal.

OP, I've filed the injured spouse form before and when I did it I got my portion of the taxes back. They calculated based on the percentages of who earned more and paid more. This is how it worked for us several years ago, so if it's the same and he hasn't worked at all this last year then you should receive your full return back. HOWEVER it may have changed. I would call the IRS or a CPA and ask them.

Alexsangel07
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM

its not a scam it was even a recomendation by the irs because the debt is my husbands and i was the one that worked

Quoting naumann24:

Alexsangel07
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Ty for this info I'm gonna call the IRS tomorow I was just hoping someone who had been there could give me some insight ... Now that we know where it came from I want to get them paid off but we need a car asap lol

Quoting miss_lisa:

Quoting naumann24:

Um no. It's not a scam and it's perfectly legal.

OP, I've filed the injured spouse form before and when I did it I got my portion of the taxes back. They calculated based on the percentages of who earned more and paid more. This is how it worked for us several years ago, so if it's the same and he hasn't worked at all this last year then you should receive your full return back. HOWEVER it may have changed. I would call the IRS or a CPA and ask them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)