Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should i do?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ok my neighbors have their washer and dryer at my house because they don't have hook ups at theirs. So they said if I keep it here I can use it as long as I let them come over and use it when they need to. Well she comes over 2-3 days a week to wash clothes. It has made a huge difference in my electric bill. Would it be fair to ask them to pay some of it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amelia.Jean
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM
You for sure can ask! Do you own and pay your water bill too? I would be telling them the difference and asking them to contribute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandiaubrey
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM
I would tell them the difference it has made and ask if they are willing to pitch in. If not I would ask them to take their washer and dryer elsewhere. Honestly, they probably didn't think about the difference it would make in your electric bill and if they are nice, considerate people, they should be willing to pay for a portion of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

does it make more of a difference in your electric and water than it would cost you (in time *and* money) to go to the laundry to do your wash?  if so then I would ask.  otherwise I would consider it the cost of convenience.

dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM

do you already have a set?

if youre using it too, part of that huge increase is your own.

i probably wouldnt ask them, or if i did, wouldnt ask for that much, considering youre using it too.

soon2bemomof307
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Yes, but it's not so bad. My electric bill has gone up. I used to go to the laundry mat. I wash one day a week.

Quoting Amelia.Jean:

You for sure can ask! Do you own and pay your water bill too? I would be telling them the difference and asking them to contribute.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Of course. Honestly, I would not allowed that in the first place
z00t1
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I think you need to figure out how much of the increase in the electric bill is attributable to the use of the washer/dryer and not weather related.  Also, you need to factor in how much you would spend if each of you went to the laundromat.  Once you've figured that out, if you really do have an increase in your electric bill, then ask them to consider paying some portion but only if you truly have an increase.  Remember, you have a great convenience on your hands as a result of letting them put the washer/dryer in your house, so that should mitigate the extra cost.

sam12796
by Sandy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Quoting ff-princess:

does it make more of a difference in your electric and water than it would cost you (in time *and* money) to go to the laundry to do your wash?  if so then I would ask.  otherwise I would consider it the cost of convenience.

I agree. If it would cost you more to drive and pay to use other facilities and loose time at home doing other things you should just call it a wash.

soon2bemomof307
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM
No I don't. I see where you are coming from. I mean the extra is what it cost in gas and money to go to the laundry. So maybe I shouldn't ask.

Quoting dmarie2101:

do you already have a set?

if youre using it too, part of that huge increase is your own.

i probably wouldnt ask them, or if i did, wouldnt ask for that much, considering youre using it too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I think it's fair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)