Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of pre-kers

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM
  • 19 Replies
Im just curious where your child is at reading wise? Mine just turned 5 last month. Tonite he read me berenstein bears and dr suess. They were brand new books that I just got today so I know he has not memorized them. Total he read about 40 pages. He only needed help with 15 words in all. he did get distracted towards the end but thats to be expected. I like to think he is advanced for his age, but I also know it could just be a mom thing. So I wanted feedback from other moms. I was considering getting him tested for gifted and talented next year. What do you think? Is he ahead?
Eta: he goes to school in houston tx and his distric starts gt testing in k.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
md3mom
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

It sounds like he is slightly  ahead to me.  My daughter is in K.  She turned 5 in June and she just started reading like you describe your son doing...  Not sure about the gifted and talented thing though - seems kind of early for that.  Kids really do progress at different rates.  Maybe see how he's doing in K next year and if he's continuing to progress above his class - have the testing done then.

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

My daughter turned 5 in October (she missed the Kindergarten cutoff by 1 month) and she can read the level 2 books without help.

It's pretty typical for the age.

soon2bemomof307
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM
My son will be 5 in September. He can read 3-4 letter words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM
My oldest is 4.5. We are still working on getting him to regonize all the letters of the alphabet. He can "read" his name and his brothers' names though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3earthangels
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM
My dd turned 4 in Dec. she read books like " Jane can sit" "Jack will walk." and has many sight words down, blends well, and knows what vowels are. I do think she pick a lot of it up from my oldest DD's teachings. My oldest dd has a lot of trouble with reading and writing, so we go over her school work and do many excersizes every night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TatorsMommy2205
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I don't know about your DS's school, but my DD's school doesn't tested for the gifted class until 2nd or 3rd grade. If he is reading that well, and is mature for his age you might want to check into letting him skip kindergarten.

My DD is in 1st grade now, and is just now able to read like what you are explaining. She has been in school since PreK. However, she was diagnosed and started taking medication for ADHD around Christmas time. Since she started taking medecine she has been doing a lot better in school, and has had any problems reading. My daughter is very smart.

I would also like to point out that being gifted isn't just how well your child can read. It has a lot to do with how they process information. Is your son reading the words or does comprehend what he is ready? Can you ask him questions about the books after he read them? Can you he tell you what he read in sequence? If you aren't sure you should try talking to him after he reads a book and see if he understands what he just read. That's a better test of his ability. I'm not saying that he doesn't understand. I'm just saying that says more about his intelligence.

fisterswife
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM
GT is more then kids beings smart. It's more of how the child's brain works. GT students think outside the box.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM

He's way ahead!  Most kindergartners year olds can read these types of books, but the books are a bit higher than their reading level so they get tired quickly.  Is he reading them fluently?  As in he reads like he talks.

<----Kindergarten teacher.

JrsMommy07
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM
I totally get what you are saying. Yes I ask him questions for comprehension. He is able to retekk me the story and remeber most details.

Quoting TatorsMommy2205:

I don't know about your DS's school, but my DD's school doesn't tested for the gifted class until 2nd or 3rd grade. If he is reading that well, and is mature for his age you might want to check into letting him skip kindergarten.

My DD is in 1st grade now, and is just now able to read like what you are explaining. She has been in school since PreK. However, she was diagnosed and started taking medication for ADHD around Christmas time. Since she started taking medecine she has been doing a lot better in school, and has had any problems reading. My daughter is very smart.

I would also like to point out that being gifted isn't just how well your child can read. It has a lot to do with how they process information. Is your son reading the words or does comprehend what he is ready? Can you ask him questions about the books after he read them? Can you he tell you what he read in sequence? If you aren't sure you should try talking to him after he reads a book and see if he understands what he just read. That's a better test of his ability. I'm not saying that he doesn't understand. I'm just saying that says more about his intelligence.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mymuneca
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM
I think he may be slightly ahead. Sounds about where my 5 year old is & she was tested, scored kindergarten & some 1st grade in some areas last year at 4 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)