Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice On Getting Neighbor Lady To Keep Dog Penned Up

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM
  • 11 Replies

Here is the situation: I have a flock of backyard chickens and a couple ducks.  The past couple months, the local crazy cat lady in the neighborhood has also taken in an oversize pup that's some sort of terrier mix.  My chickens have a fenced area to go into but occasionally since they can fly, some of my hens go over it and dig in the dirt under trees and around side of the shed, and lay their eggs at times too. It has gotten so that every time I turn the chickens out into the yard, here comes this dog. I think the old bat is letting this dog out on purpose! She has more than a dozen cats so she is an animal lover who apparently never heard of spaying and neutering. 

Here's what I have done to no avail and I am at the end of my rope. 

I have called police and dog catcher more than ten times in the past two months regarding this dog.  All I ask is that she obey the leash law. 

Since I live in a small podunk down where I'd be better off if Roscoe P. Coltrane was our dog catcher, he seems to look the other way when this woman's dog is loose.  All I ask again, is that he do his job and make her keep this dog penned up. 

I confronted the lady directly and since she is a social worker (she is the school's child welfare liason and she also works for DHS as an APS worker, she's the supervisor. Oh and FYI she's not only a cat hoarder,she's a hoarder too..how ironic is that?) My son also confronted her at school about it.  She told him, "I just feed the dog. It's a stray and he won't hurt your chickens." Well since it's a stray, if she's taking responsibility for it, she should not let it run loose and dog catcher should do his job.  She retaliated and told child welfare that my son was on drugs when he had a cold and the Benadryl I gave him made him drowsy.  She brought him home from school and accused me of sending my son to school high. Two weeks later DHS came to my door and asked me all kinds of questions but denied it was her or the school who turned me in. Honestly? I think this was a pure and simple act of retaliation out of her. 

I have told dogcatcher AND police dispatchers that if I catch the dog myself, I WILL take it to the humane society and find it a new home. She's obviously not taking care of it. 

This dog has also been a menace to other neighbors.  My elderly  next door neighbor asked me if it was MY dog leaving her steaming piles of dog poo on her car port behind her car.  Nope.  I have Chihuahuas and they're paper trained and when I do take them out, I stay with them.   It's also bad about knocking over trash cans and scattering garbage. I've picked my trash up too many times to count. 

Oh and by the way, I broke my ankle because of this dog too.  I fell and twisted it when chasing it off of my property.  I had the bill sent to her address, which was followed by another anonymously made but obvious to who it was who made the call visits from child welfare. 

Since I live in the city limits I am not allowed to shoot the dog, and I don't want to hurt the animal, I just want to get it across to this old bitch that I want her to keep her dog properly leashed and ticketed for each offense.  When HER dog chased MY rooster into the parking lot of the local nursing home, the dog catcher fined me for having a rooster at large, but yet by the same token he won't fine her for letting this dog run loose.  I just paid it because no telling what she'd tell CPS if I pursued it.  Any idea how I can get the point across?  I am running out of ideas and she seems to be kind or ridiculously retaliatory. 

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinlife2005
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Get a trap and catch the dog. Take it to the pound then or rehome it yourself. Then call SPCA on her for having so many cats that are prob. not vaccinated and who knows what they have. There might be a law on how many pets you can have at your residence.

JaydeesLaydee
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

This town does have this but none really for cats...there's a dog limit. No limit on poultry birds. This dog is huge and I'm not sure where to find a trap for a dog so large, but I do have feelers out. 

smurfbitebug
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM
That's easy. Every time the dog comes into your yard, make him think that you are petting him..but really, rub him from head to toe with coal.

Problem solved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM
YEP, call your local animal shelter and tell them about the cat horder. Then, call public health and inform them of her unlivable conditions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaydeesLaydee
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

BTW this was what I am planning on doing if I can ever catch the thing.  But like I said, it's a HUGE dog and gonna be hard to find a trap that big.  But if I can catch the dog I WILL do this...I am unsure why dog catcher won't take my complaints seriously.  Other neighbors have complained also and nothing gets done.  I am thinking of going over his head but not sure where to complain to....animal control is same as police dept. here and he's not even a cop really...

Quoting lovinlife2005:

Get a trap and catch the dog. Take it to the pound then or rehome it yourself. Then call SPCA on her for having so many cats that are prob. not vaccinated and who knows what they have. There might be a law on how many pets you can have at your residence.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM
This is exactly what I was gonna say.
I would venture that the dog catcher doesn't want cps called on him either, which is why he wont do anything. Consider filing a complaint at the next higher level in your county/state. If you can get it on record that child services show up everytime you report her you can get an investigation going. You might even consider contacting a lawyer.

Quoting lovinlife2005:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaydeesLaydee
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Dog catcher and animal shelter are all same entity here in this town, so if he won't even ticket her for having her dog at large, he's not going to do anything about her surplus or cats either. :/

Quoting krystlzd3:

YEP, call your local animal shelter and tell them about the cat horder. Then, call public health and inform them of her unlivable conditions.

lovinlife2005
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I would contact the local newspaper. Get a story out of it b/c your dog catcher/animal control person is not doing their job. This dog could get hit or so forth. Put pressure on him to do his job correctly. Talk to your neighbors and see if they agree. Or just keep trying to catch it. Start feeding it. Leaving items out for it. It will eventually see you are non-threat and hopefully come to you.

Quoting JaydeesLaydee:

BTW this was what I am planning on doing if I can ever catch the thing.  But like I said, it's a HUGE dog and gonna be hard to find a trap that big.  But if I can catch the dog I WILL do this...I am unsure why dog catcher won't take my complaints seriously.  Other neighbors have complained also and nothing gets done.  I am thinking of going over his head but not sure where to complain to....animal control is same as police dept. here and he's not even a cop really...

Quoting lovinlife2005:

dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

catch the dog and take it in.

00jess
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Try to get the dog in your car... Lure him in with some food. Then drive him to a local animal shelter.... Or ( not saying this is a great idea ) get a paintball gun. Shoot near the dog... He will think twice before going near your chickens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)